JOSH Quarless netted on his 1874 Northwich debut in a 3-1 win at Clitheroe.

The Greens were in fine form as they achieved a 3-0 lead by the break, with Quarless' 31st-minute effort sandwiched by two efforts from Joe Woolley.

Quarless, who wore the number 11 shirt, joined 74 last week from Runcorn Linnets and had previously been a regular scorer for Burscough and City of Liverpool.

The second half was quite different, with the hosts pulling a goal back in the 64th minute and then laying siege inside the 74 half.

Although Matt Woolley did get a sight of goal for 74 but his header skimmed the crossbar.

1874 Northwich will host Leek Town at Townfield on Monday, kick-off 3pm.


Joe Duckworth struck twice as Witton Albion secured their first win of the season in Northern Premier League West.

He produced a first-half equaliser and then nudged his side ahead in the 62nd minute in what turned out to be a 3-2 win against Workington at the U Lock It Stadium.

Vani Da Silva added a third in the 81st minute, which was a good job because Reds responded with their second a few minutes later courtesy of Reuben Jerome.

Dan Wordsworth (2o) had put the Cumbrians ahead, while the visitors were reduced to 10 men in the 90th minute when Danny Eccles was shown a red card.

Both teams could have had more goals but efforts were off target in an entertaining game.

Witton are away to Runcorn Linnets on Monday, kick-off 3pm.


Northwich Victoria bowed out of the FA Vase on Friday night, losing 4-3 at home to lower-league Cheadle Town.

They led 2-0 at the interval in the first qualifying round tie at the U Lock It Stadium.

Ryan Jackson (18) and Matt Dudley (28) put them in control.

But the Trickies' lead was wiped out within eight minutes of the second half starting, Daniel Hewitt and Ryan Usher levelling matters.

Six minutes later Adam Jones completed the game being turned on its head when he made it 3-2.

Jack McConnell added Cheadle's fourth in the 75th minute and Matty Birchall reduced the gap to 4-3 in the 84th minute but it was as close as Vics could get.


Winsford United also bowed out of the FA Vase.

They exited the knockout on penalties, 4-3 to the hosts Haughmond.

Sam Madelely scored in the 89th-minute of normal time to take the tie into a shoot-out at 1-1.

Steve Nicholson had put the Shrewsbury side ahead in the 35th minute.

Barnton were 3-0 winners at home against Rocester.

Harvey Sample hit the mark twice in three minutes midway through the second half to kill off the game.

The Villagers had been ahead since Matthew Ball notched in the 29th minute.