WITTON Albion have earned their first point since early November thanks to a 1-1 draw with Gainsborough Trinity.

This was only Albion's third game since then due to postponements forced by Covid-19 and the weather and it was Callum Saunders maintaining his goal-scoring form that sealed the draw in the 56th minute after Jovon Makama had put the visitors ahead after 19 minutes.

Albion's goal was much deserved, with their second-half display an improvement on the first but nevertheless the performance was a battling one all round.

Leading scorer Saunders did what he does best, finding himself space so that he was perfectly placed at the back post to fire home a lovely delivery from Blackburn Rovers loanee Joe Ferguson after his charge up the field.

And that ensured a repeat of the scoreline when the two sides met in Lincolnshire on the opening day of the Northern Premier League season.

Earlier Greg Hall was given no chance by Makana's header into the top corner from a free kick.

Witton, who handed a debut to new addition Ben Pleavin, who has joined on loan from League Two side Accrington Stanley to bolster the midfield, had some early chances to stamp their mark on a side that has struggled away from home this season.

Visiting keeper Yates pulled off a great save to deny a Will Jones header after three minutes before tipping a James Foley corner over the bar soon after.

After Trinity forged in front Yates again came to his side's rescue after Saunders had flicked the ball goal-bound from Isaac Baldwin's long throw.

Carl Macauley's men continued to create the best of the chances after the break.

A shot from Foley inside the box was blocked only a minute before Saunders levelled matters with his 13th goal of the campaign.

Tom Owens put an effort over the bar after creating himself a shooting opportunity at the back post.

Witton did have the ball in the net again courtesy of Saunders in the 65th minute but the striker was ruled offside.

Late on Gainsborough came closest to pinching the result.

Home keeper Hall would have been grateful that Brad Grayson's free header came straight at him.

And four minutes into added time Declan Bacon curled a shot that went wide to the relief of the majority of supporters inside the U Lock It Stadium.

Witton remain in the bottom three, though they have games in hand on most other sides, ahead of next Saturday's visit by table toppers Matlock Town.