Pete Tonge casts his studious eye over the Northwich Victoria 2-1 loss at Avro on bank holiday Monday...

AVRO struck twice in two second-half minutes as they came from behind to win despite a spirited Vics’ performance.

Vics started the match well, looking confident and passing the ball around well.

In the 3rd minute, Adam Owen escaped down the left, and fired a shot in from the left edge of the area, which hit the side netting.

Vics kept pressing, and should have opened the scoring in the 9th minute as Avro keeper Josh Ollerenshaw played a poor ball out to a defender, which the alert Ryan Winder swept onto leaving himself one on one with the keeper, who stood firm to make a fine save.

However, Vics did get the goal they deserved just 6 minutes later as a corner was fired into the far post and was met by a towering Rudy Misambo who powered a header into the net from a tight angle.

A good combination between Birchall, Owen and Camozzi in the 23rd minute led to a cross being swung in, which defender Lewis Lacey just managed to get to before Ash Dunn for Vics as the Trickies continued to control the match.

Indeed it wasn’t until the 29th minute when Avro really threatened as Louis Potts beat one defender and fired in a shot from distance which flashed past the outside of the post.

Few further chances were created by either side as the game settled down, until the 43rd minute when Ryan Winder dinked a lovely ball in which Matty Birchall headed just over the bar.

Just before half-time, Chris Cheetham in the Vics’ net was forced into a fine diving save to tip a fierce Potts shot around the post.

Avro were on top as soon as the second half started as they immediately pushed Vics back, not allowing them out of their own half for long periods.

Vics were holding firm though despite the pressure and were restricting Avro to long range efforts.

Joe Rathbone fired one in on the 53rd minute, which was inches wide, whilst another Rathbone effort a minute later was well saved by Cheetham despite a slight deflection.

Avro were piling on the pressure, and in the 60th minute, Misambo was forced into a hurried clearance from a corner which sliced just past his own post!

Avro finally got the equaliser in the 68th minute as they somewhat fortuitously got a free kick right on the edge of the area which was fired in and blocked but deflected to Oumar Camara who poked the ball into the net despite looking suspiciously offside.

Vics then fell for a sucker punch as just two minutes later, Avro broke quickly, Kyle Harrop crossed from the right and Camara was there free at the far post to head his and Avro’s second past a despairing Cheetham.

Avro managed to hold on fairly comfortably after this, despite Vics fighting spiritedly as they tried to find that one chance to get the equaliser that they probably deserved.