THE new outdoor space in Northwich has been struck by mindless vandals, just weeks after it was opened to the public.

Two young birch trees were snapped in half over the weekend at the temporary public space in Weaver Square with one councillor saying the method was one becoming widespread in recent months.

READ> Northwich teen jailed after police caught him dealing

The latest incident comes after a tree planted in memory of the late Hartford Parish Councillor Eira Bowden was snapped in two in Grange Park by vandals just over a week ago.

Speaking to the Guardian, Cllr Sam Naylor, said the matter had been reported to the police and that he was hopeful at least one of the CCTV cameras in the area might help identify the culprits.

He said: "I'm hoping we'll get some positive news from the police as the area is covered by quite a few CCTV cameras

"It's getting a bit widespread, this tree snapping

"There was the incident in Hartford the other week with Eira's tree.

"There was also an issue down Saxons Lane several weeks ago.

"I've spoken to the council this morning and my view is that we don't replace them because there are at least another half dozen trees down there.

"Unfortunately it's just an open invitation for some of these mindless vandals and it's as simple as that."

Northwich Guardian: Two trees were snapped in half by vandals in the town's new outdoor space over the weekend.

Two trees were snapped in half by vandals in the town's new outdoor space over the weekend. Photo Tina Hickman.

The outdoor space has been heralded as providing the people of Northwich with a peaceful outdoor space close to the town centre, with the wrappers only coming off the project on April 12.

"I hope we can work with the police and identify those responsible," added Cllr Naylor.

"It's the brazenness of it all because people must know there is CCTV there.

"Hopefully we'll have them on CCTV and somebody can identify them.

"Unfortunately, both trees have been completely snapped and we can't save them unfortunately."

A spokesman for Cheshire Police confirmed the incident had been reported to them and that local officers are currently investigating the matter further.