FIREFIGHTERS had to use a roof ladder to put out a chimney fire at an address just outside Lower Whitley.

The incident happened shortly before 9.30pm on Saturday night when Cheshire Fire and Rescue responded to reports of the fire at a property on Village Lane.

A fire engine from Lymm station was quickly despatched to the scene, where firefighters unsuccessfully tried to control the fire from the grate, so had to do so using a ladder to gain access to the roof.

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire and Rescue said: "Firefighters were called to a chimney fire at an address in Village Lane, Northwich at 9.25pm.

"Crews tried to tackle the fire from the grate but the temperature was not coming down.

"Crews used a ladder and roof ladder to put out the fire from above using a hose reel."