FIREFIGHTERS were called to sheltered accommodation in Northwich this afternoon following concerns about smoke coming from holes in the floor near at side door at the building.

On arrival at the buiding in Church Road, at around 4pm, the crew found discarded timber smouldering in a small gap between a concrete ramp and an exterior door.

Firefighters used a hose reel jet to make the area safe.

They also made sure that fire had not spread to the inside of the building and had to cut away part of a wooden floor in order to do so.

A thermal imaging camera was used to look for hotspots.

Once satisfied that the sheltered accommodation was safe, firefighters left the scene.

They were in attendance for around an hour and 10 minutes.