NORTHWICH Victoria deservedly, but unspectacularly, progressed to the FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round with a hard working 2-0 win against Golcar United, writes Pete Tonge.

Golcar started as they meant to carry on, getting the ball upfield as quickly as possible and relying on their pacy strikers to get on the ball.

And indeed the first chance fell to them in the first minute as Alex Hallam had a shot just wide of the post.

Vics replied with a long-range effort from Louis Potts which Stead in the Golcar goal had to tip wide.

The game then settled down with Golcar pumping the ball forward, and Vics defending confidently.

> Should goal celebrations be banned in current climate?

In the 18th minute, Golcar's Cartwright found himself with time and space, but scuffed his shot which Sherlock did well to block.

Two minutes later, Darrhyl Mason tore down the left but his cut back evaded the Vics strikers.

Golcar 's keeper, Stead was lucky to escape without punishment for a clear handball outside the penalty area as he had to punch the ball away from an incoming Vics player. No free-kick given!

After 35 minutes, a Vics corner was swung in, and the ball deflected off an arm into the net. The referee ruled it was Mason who had handballed it though and no goal given.

After 41 minutes, a long throw into the Golcar box, was held up well by Brandon Barski, and keeper Stead went straight through the back of him in his eagerness to get the ball. Up stepped Chad Whyte to smash the ball home from the penalty spot.

The second half saw Vics in more control as they coped easily with Golcar's repeated quick balls upfield, and managed to hold onto the ball better than they had in the first half.

In the 48th minute, another long throw from Louis Potts caused havoc in the Golcar box as Whyte flicked the ball on, and Mason laid the ball back for Joe Camozzi to strike the ball. Not his best effort though as the ball went out for a throw!

Four minutes later, Dave Sherlock had a free kick just wide of the post, though the keeper looked to have it covered.

Soon after, Dan Stocker, the Golcar captain was lucky to escape with only a yellow card after a late tackle on Louis Potts.

57 minutes in, and Golcar should have done better when they had a free header in the box, but it went well wide.

Vics extended their lead in the 65th minute, when Golcar keeper Stead in his eagerness to clear the ball quickly upfield, only managed to fire the ball into Chad Whyte, and the Vics' striker had the easiest of tasks to tap the ball into an empty net.

Vics were rarely troubled after that, and indeed nearly got a third in the 74th minute as Ryan Winder found the onrushing Matt Cook who cut inside and slid a shot inches wide of the right post.

Vics easily saw the rest of the game out to progress through to a trip to North Ferriby.

Vics: Hale, Cook, Kenny, Barski, Camozzi, Mason (Birchall 85), Clarke, Potts (Winder 67), Sherlock, Henderson, Whyte (Woods 76). Subs not used: Durnin, Newns, Brew-Butler, Grindrod.

Next matches:

Saturday 26th September: Away versus Stone Old Alleynians 3.00pm kick off ( Friendly)

Saturday 3rd October: Away versus Charnock Richard 3.00pm kick off ( NWC League)