TWO people were hospitalised after a gas canister exploded late last night, Thursday.

Two fire engines from Northwich Fire Station were called out to Shores Green Drive in Wincham shortly after 11.30pm.

Crews received reports of a fire at a property and discovered on arrival that this had been caused by a gas cylinder which had exploded.

The fire had been extinguished prior to the arrival of firefighters, who assisted with first aid.

Two people were taken to hospital for treatment by paramedics and a dog was also taken to the vets.

North West Ambulance Service said that it could not provide an details on the severity of any injuries as the incident happened at a private address.

Fire crews were at scene for around two hours and ten minutes.