A FITTING tribute was left to a great grandad this week who sadly passed away after contracting coronavirus.

Residents of Townbridge Court lined up along Castle Street to say goodbye to fellow resident Samuel Vinton Hill.

The 94-year-old fell ill from Covid-19 last month, and with social distancing restrictions still being in place, the number of people who could attend his funeral was severely reduced.

But that did not stop those who new him from organising a special farewell, much to the appreciation of his family.

Northwich Guardian:

“The residents and warden of Townbridge Court had been in contact with my mum about doing a tribute to him,” said Samuel’s granddaughter, Sarah Seddon.

“We organised the hearse to drive past on the way to the crematorium and they lined the street to pay their respects.

“It was very emotional as they were clapping and clapping as we went past.

“I would like to thank them very much as it was a beautiful tribute to my grandfather, and totally fitting for a man who will be missed so much by all.”

Samuel mastered the art of playing the spoons

Samuel moved to Cheshire in the 50s to work for ICI and lived in Sandiway for most of his married life, before moving to Townbridge Court after his wife Lilian passed away.

He had four children, ten grandchildren, a number of great grandchildren and will have another great grandchild who is due to arrive very soon.

“My grandfather was as fit as a fiddle apart from normal old age and had lived in Townbridge Court for between 10 and 12 years,” Sarah continued.

“He was really well known in the area, and we’ve had calls from staff working at Specsavers and the bank saying how sorry they are for our loss and how much he will be missed.

Northwich Guardian:

Samuel enjoying Christmas with his family

“When nan was alive, they used to go sequence dancing together. He loved golf and as a Geordie, he was the biggest Newcastle United supporter you could ever find.

“His funeral song was ‘My Way’ by Frank Sinatra, as he was always out for a walk and did so for an hour under lockdown.

“We think this is where he must have picked up the virus.

“I also want to thank the staff at Leighton Hospital who were fantastic, as they allowed my mum to visit him while social distancing in his final hours and we had video calls with him, so he wasn’t on his own.”