FIREFIGHTERS were called out to Plumley this afternoon, Friday, after the chimney of a terraced house caught fire.

One fire engine from Knutsford Fire Station attended the property on Moorcroft shortly before 12.45pm.

On arrival, the crew discovered that the fire was contained within the chimney stack.

Equipped with a hose reel jet and chimney rods, firefighters extinguished the fire and then checked that it had not spread to the roof space.

The crew also used a thermal imaging camera to look for hotspots.

They left the house once satisfied that it was safe and were in attendance for less than an hour and a half.

For tips on how to avoid a chimney fire visit