A MAN was taken to hospital after a house fire in Weaverham last night.

Crews were called to Walnut Avenue at 7pm and found that the ground floor of the property was well alight.

One man suffering from smoke inhalation was taken to hospital for precautionary checks by paramedics.

Four firefighters, wearing breathing apparatus, used two hose reel jets and a covering jet to extinguish the flames.

The gas and electric supply was also isolated.

Crews then used a large fan to ventilate the property and neighbouring houses.

Firefighters were at the scene for around three hours.