A HEATER in a Witton Street shop caused a fire this morning, Friday.

Two fire engines were called to Dorothy Perkins shortly before 8.30am.

A Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "On arrival crews discovered that the fire involved a heater above the shop entrance.

"The shop was evacuated and the electricity supply was isolated.

"Firefighters extinguishing the fire using water. Then then damped the heater down to make it safe.

"Once the heater had cooled down the crew dismantled it.

"Firefighters also cleared smoke from the shop using a large fan.

"They were in attendance for around an hour and 15 minutes before handing the incident over to the shop's staff."

The store will be offering discounts on smoke-damaged stock tomorrow, Saturday.