FIREFIGHTERS were called out to Higher Wincham after a tumble dryer burst into flames yesterday evening, Monday.

Two fire engines from Northwich and Lymm fire stations were dispatched to Sutton Close shortly after 6.30pm.

On arrival, the crews found a tumble dryer on fire outside of the property and used a hose reel to extinguish it.

As tumble dryer fires are becoming increasingly frequent, Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued the following safety tips:

• Remove the lint from the trap after every load of clothes dried

• Do not cover the vent or any other opening

• Ensure the vent pipe is free of kinks and is not crushed in any way

• Only used recommended vent pipes and not improvised ones

• Only vent the warm air to the outside of a building

• Do not put rags or materials into your tumble dryer if they have been used to soak up flammable liquids.