PREVIOUSLY we've looked at what Witton Street has now and what was there in the past.

We have reached the top and joined Station Road. Witton Street used to carry on until the railway station was built in the mid-1800s when that part was changed to Station Road.

After leaving Witton Street, the first building of interest is the Nancollis Temperance hotel at 89 Station Road.

The advertising photo shows the hotel in the 1930s when it must have been on its last legs.

Northwich Guardian:

At the start of the First World War, the old Temperance Movement was given a boost by the Liberal Government. They restricted opening hours, weakened beer and put up tax on alcohol.

But in 1928, when this hotel was operating, the Temperance Movement no longer had many followers.

It had been running since the early 1800s when the ‘Maine Liquor Act’ was passed in the city of Maine, USA.

It was soon picked up in the UK as the Temperance Movement for both political and religious hatred of the evils of the demon drink.

Northwich Guardian:

Station Road

In fact, the road in which Manchester City football club is situated is ‘Maine Road’, in the 19th century it was called ‘Dog Kennel Lane’ but was renamed to commemorate the ‘Maine Liquor Law.’

The Temperance Movement had a lot of influence at the time, as you can see, the building is still there and houses Snipets unisex hairdressing salon.

Next door is the pub that was built as the New Inn during 1860 but soon changed its name to The Lion. In 1863 the pub was purchased from The Northwich Brewery Company by Greenall, Whitley and Co.

Northwich Guardian:

The Lion and Railway and Temperance Hotel, in 1891

The first licensee in 1864 is shown as Jabez Hickson who had his name emblazoned on the gable end, and this was in view right up until the building was converted to flats and the name painted over a few years ago.

In around the 1890s the name was changed to the Lion and Railway, then in 1900 stables were built at the side with accommodation for fifteen horses.

Before 1958 the upper room was used by Walter Johnson, a local undertaker as a chapel of rest and the pub was closed for many years before being converted into flats.