A QUICK-THINKING Barnton resident threw a television out of an upstairs window after it set on fire.

Firefighters were called to Wade Crescent shortly after midnight today, Thursday, with two Northwich fire crews scrambled to the scene.

The fire, in a first floor bedroom, involved a TV.

A Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "On arrival at the address the crews discovered that a television had malfunctioned and set on fire, resulting in the owner taking evasive action and throwing the TV out of the window.

"Thankfully, as a result of the owner's actions, they were able to prevent the fire from taking hold."