COOKING left unattended in a Northwich flat caused the room to fill with smoke on Sunday evening.

Firefighters spent more than 45 minutes in Heber Walk after responding to reports of smoke around 7.15pm.

A Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "The crew gained entry and found that no-one was inside the flat and that the smoke had been caused by cooking food having been left unattended.

"Firefighters ventilated the property and were in attendance for more than 45 minutes."

For the service's kitchen safety tips,

click here