FIREFIGHTERS were called to a house in Northwich where a tumble dryer had caught fire.

Crews from Northwich and Winsford were sent to Tilstone Close at 3.45pm yesterday and stayed at the property for an hour-and-a-half.

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire Service said: "Shortly before 3.45pm firefighters were called to a report of a fire in a house in Tilstone Close, Northwich.

"On arrival the crews found a tumble dryer smouldering in what was a smoke logged kitchen.

"They isolated the gas and electricity supplies and two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire with a hose reel jet.

"Once the fire was out firefighters cleared the smoke from the house with a large fan."