A MUM has described the last loving hug she shared with her son the night before he died.

Michelle Hayles told an inquest that she now believes her son Matthew was saying goodbye before he took his own life.

The 32-year-old was found dead after hanging himself on Northwich Retail Park on Manchester Road on July 25 last year.

Mr Hayles visited his mum at around 6.30pm on July 24, the day after her birthday.

Mum-of-four Michelle said: "At the time I didn't realise it but it was my last hug and kiss. It was very meaningful.

"He chatted for an hour, I made him a cup of coffee. He went out of his way to give me a hug. He said he was sorry."

Dad-of-two Mr Hayles, from Shropshire, had separated from his wife and was feeling low, an inquest in Crewe heard on Friday.

Michelle told South Cheshire Coroner's Court that her relationship with her son had been "a little strained".

"Matthew got married three years ago and has two children," she said. "The marriage was a surprise to me. He got married in Vegas. I was a little bit upset as we have a big family."

She didn't see much of her son until last year.

"He sent me a text saying he was feeling rather low," Michelle said. "His grandad, who was Jamaican, had died and he was asking me for some of his old Reggae tunes."

On March 30 last year, she went to see him in hospital after he had taken an overdose.

Michelle said that was one of two occasions when he had tried to take his own life.

"He was in a bad way but he didn't show it to his mum," she said. "We are a close family. I have four children, they are all grown up. If there was anything wrong I thought they would come and see me."

The body of Mr Hayles was discovered by Alison Hinde as she turned up for work at B&Q on Northwich Retail Park at 5.45am on July 25 last year, the inquest was told.

She saw a dark blue Mercedes car on the car park facing the steps that led up to the shops.

She noticed the car was parked at a strange angle and the driver's door was open.

She saw a man lying on his side and said: "He looked very peaceful as if he was asleep."

A male colleague joined her and when they realised the man was dead they called the police.

In a statement, PC Ian Ness described how he found a man lying on the floor and the car engine was running.

After failing to find a pulse, he started CPR and paramedics took over.

DS John Lyons said CCTV cameras had captured the car in the area shortly before 4am.

After investigating he was certain there were no suspicious circumstances.

Pathologist Dr David Butterworth concluded that the cause of death was hanging.

Toxicology tests showed that Mr Hayles had cocaine and nearly double the legal limit of alcohol for driving in his blood when he died.

Mr Hayles' GP Dr Hughes told the inquest that Mr Hayles, a fork lift truck driver, had back pain for 12 years and suffered transient low moods following difficulties with his relationship and other matters.

He had taken time off work after a colleague had died.

When he last visited the practice on May 14, he seemed calm and coherent.

Assistant coroner for Cheshire Heath Westerman said: "I am satisfied beyond all probability that Matthew's death was one of suicide because of the nature of all the evidence.

"His car was driven to an area he wouldn't normally go to. He was doing something to end his life."

"I wish to offer my sincere condolences to his family."

Mr Hayles' two uncles and other relatives attended the inquest.

If you are feeling suicidal or need someone to talk to, call The Samaritans free on 116 123.