THE Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service has warned residents on fire safety on Halloween.

A significant number of people like to dress up for Halloween but a lot of costumes are very flammable.

People are advised to keep away from candles or other naked flames and use battery operated lights in pumpkins, which are much safer.

Nick Evans, head of prevention at Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “We want everyone to have fun, but it is also important to remember that Halloween costumes can be extremely flammable.

“Check the labelling in any costumes you buy and tell your child to take care when near an open flame.”

If your clothes do catch fire, you need to stop, drop and roll.

• Stop where you are. Do not run. Running can make things worse.

• Drop to the ground. Lay flat with your legs out straight.

• Cover your eyes and mouth with your hands.

• Roll over and over and back and forth until the flames are out.

• Get help straight away.

If you do use candles, make sure you take extra care and follow these tips:

• Always extinguish candles before moving them.

• Always use a suitable holder when burning candles

• Keep clothes and hair away from the naked flame.

• Candles should always be sited out of the reach of children and pets.

• Put candles on a heat-resistant surface.

• Extinguish candles before you leave a room and never go to sleep with a candle still burning.

Nick added: “Whatever you do this Halloween, please make sure you do it safely and take our advice on board.”