MEN involved in a severe electric shock incident at Memorial Hall in Northwich this morning were taken to a specialist burns unit.

The Guardian understands that workmen were fixing hoardings around the demolition site when an 11,000 volt electricity cable was severed.

Two men in their 20s were taken to Whiston Burns Unit in Liverpool.

Phone lines to Northwich Police Station were affected for a period following the incident.

A police spokesman said: “At 9.14am on Wednesday July, 24, police attended an incident in Chesterway in Northwich.

“On arrival two men had received electrical burns after cutting through an electrical cable while carrying out work in the area.

“The two men aged 20 and 22 from Liverpool were taken to Whiston Hospital to be treated for their injuries.

“The incident affected the phone lines for a short time at Northwich police station.

“The Health and Safety Executive have been informed.”

A spokesman for the North West Ambulance Service said one man had received burns to the arms, face and hands.

The second man is understood to have suffered less serious injuries in the incident.