Northwich GuardianTown centre is a bridge too far (From Northwich Guardian)

Send us news, start your message Cheshire News and your send photos and videos to 80360

Town centre is a bridge too far

Northwich Guardian: Town centre is a bridge too far Town centre is a bridge too far

I’VE just read and re-read The Fly in the Ointment and sad to say I’m in total agreement with the author.

I’ve been a Northwich resident for 65 of my 69 years. I was immensely proud of my town and have been upset to see it decline as much as it has.

I used to feel our councils, town, district and county, had our best interests at heart, but now I think they have their own agenda which rarely, if ever, seems to match the needs of the towns folk.

I’ll focus on last Sunday just to illustrate my point. The gyratory that the majority of towns folk didn’t want was suspended. Foolishly, I decided to go to Holmes Chapel from Barnton.

I arrived at the top of Winnington Hill at 12.02pm and got to the Chester Way/Bull Ring junction by NatWest at 12.29pm.

I understand this will be the ‘emergency’ traffic plan when the inevitable bridge closures take place.

What are the planners trying to do? From where I live they’re killing my access to the town. To get to Northwich I have to do battle with Winnington swing bridge, and the planners tell me the 1,200 new homes in Winnington village won’t make any difference to the flow of traffic using the single carriageway bridge.

Once I’m over the bridge I can sweep down Winnington hill and across Town Bridge as if I’m in the Monaco Grand Prix, but try to get to M&S and I have to drive up to the top of town and then swing back on myself.

And getting out of town is a whole different ball game, it is quicker to go via Budworth pump and Comberbach!

And eight months after opening I’ve still not found the energy to do battle with the one way system and visit Waitrose – sorry Waitrose I had such hopes when I heard you were coming to town.

So that’s it Northwich, I’m walking/driving away, nobody seems to listen to the ordinary people anymore.

Believe it or not it is quicker for me to get my shopping done in Stockton Heath and Warrington than it is to try and get into and out of Northwich for a reducing range of shops.

But don’t worry Northwich; the planners are looking after you. 

When Asda comes everything will be alright. Always assuming you can spare the time negotiating the gyratory to find it and God help you when one of the bridges breaks down because the council won’t.

Peter Barratt Barnton Northwich

Comments (28)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:18pm Thu 19 Jun 14

100246 says...

I agree 100% with you
I agree 100% with you 100246
  • Score: 6

10:59am Fri 20 Jun 14

hectorplain says...

In response to Peter's excellent article on Northwich's grid-locked traffic system: I think it's an unreasonable expectation to assume that a small town like Northwich can ever hope to cope with hoards of car loads of people from all the peripheral over-spill villages like Barnton. Today people only want to go shopping if they can do so without having to walk more than a few yards.
Its no wonder the air is thick with traffic fumes that you could cut with a knife if people are sitting for hours in their cars rather than use the legs that God gave them. There are some really super little shops in Barnton where you could go and have a chat with your neighbors whilst supporting the local business community.
Do we really want to see Northwich spoiled by a mass of multistory car parks and countless extra bridges just so we can go shopping there? No, we don't.
Northwich is a wonderful picturesque town, steeped in its rich history, it must not be further ruined by mindless development just so we can have an easy ride there for shopping.

Furthermore, I blame ICI for not putting a proper bridge at Winnington. They quite happily milked the community for decades but did not provide a decent bridge to enable me to go to town without having to wait for the traffic lights or even worse having to go all the way via the pump.
At least the river there is a bit cleaner now. that they have moved on.
In response to Peter's excellent article on Northwich's grid-locked traffic system: I think it's an unreasonable expectation to assume that a small town like Northwich can ever hope to cope with hoards of car loads of people from all the peripheral over-spill villages like Barnton. Today people only want to go shopping if they can do so without having to walk more than a few yards. Its no wonder the air is thick with traffic fumes that you could cut with a knife if people are sitting for hours in their cars rather than use the legs that God gave them. There are some really super little shops in Barnton where you could go and have a chat with your neighbors whilst supporting the local business community. Do we really want to see Northwich spoiled by a mass of multistory car parks and countless extra bridges just so we can go shopping there? No, we don't. Northwich is a wonderful picturesque town, steeped in its rich history, it must not be further ruined by mindless development just so we can have an easy ride there for shopping. Furthermore, I blame ICI for not putting a proper bridge at Winnington. They quite happily milked the community for decades but did not provide a decent bridge to enable me to go to town without having to wait for the traffic lights or even worse having to go all the way via the pump. At least the river there is a bit cleaner now. that they have moved on. hectorplain
  • Score: 19

12:26pm Fri 20 Jun 14

MatthewB says...

hectorplain wrote:
In response to Peter's excellent article on Northwich's grid-locked traffic system: I think it's an unreasonable expectation to assume that a small town like Northwich can ever hope to cope with hoards of car loads of people from all the peripheral over-spill villages like Barnton. Today people only want to go shopping if they can do so without having to walk more than a few yards.
Its no wonder the air is thick with traffic fumes that you could cut with a knife if people are sitting for hours in their cars rather than use the legs that God gave them. There are some really super little shops in Barnton where you could go and have a chat with your neighbors whilst supporting the local business community.
Do we really want to see Northwich spoiled by a mass of multistory car parks and countless extra bridges just so we can go shopping there? No, we don't.
Northwich is a wonderful picturesque town, steeped in its rich history, it must not be further ruined by mindless development just so we can have an easy ride there for shopping.

Furthermore, I blame ICI for not putting a proper bridge at Winnington. They quite happily milked the community for decades but did not provide a decent bridge to enable me to go to town without having to wait for the traffic lights or even worse having to go all the way via the pump.
At least the river there is a bit cleaner now. that they have moved on.
What do you want? A Metrolink like Manchester? A underground like London?

Unless you have a better idea stop moaning!
[quote][p][bold]hectorplain[/bold] wrote: In response to Peter's excellent article on Northwich's grid-locked traffic system: I think it's an unreasonable expectation to assume that a small town like Northwich can ever hope to cope with hoards of car loads of people from all the peripheral over-spill villages like Barnton. Today people only want to go shopping if they can do so without having to walk more than a few yards. Its no wonder the air is thick with traffic fumes that you could cut with a knife if people are sitting for hours in their cars rather than use the legs that God gave them. There are some really super little shops in Barnton where you could go and have a chat with your neighbors whilst supporting the local business community. Do we really want to see Northwich spoiled by a mass of multistory car parks and countless extra bridges just so we can go shopping there? No, we don't. Northwich is a wonderful picturesque town, steeped in its rich history, it must not be further ruined by mindless development just so we can have an easy ride there for shopping. Furthermore, I blame ICI for not putting a proper bridge at Winnington. They quite happily milked the community for decades but did not provide a decent bridge to enable me to go to town without having to wait for the traffic lights or even worse having to go all the way via the pump. At least the river there is a bit cleaner now. that they have moved on.[/p][/quote]What do you want? A Metrolink like Manchester? A underground like London? Unless you have a better idea stop moaning! MatthewB
  • Score: -16

4:00pm Fri 20 Jun 14

GOFFY says...

Well hectorplain you have picked a really suitable name, it's the plain part l am referring to because you latest comments are plain stupid you have made comments about ICI that are less than factually correct.
So as the old adage goes, if you have nothing sensible to say keep quiet.
Goffy
Well hectorplain you have picked a really suitable name, it's the plain part l am referring to because you latest comments are plain stupid you have made comments about ICI that are less than factually correct. So as the old adage goes, if you have nothing sensible to say keep quiet. Goffy GOFFY
  • Score: -26

5:57pm Fri 20 Jun 14

hectorplain says...

In response to Goofy's observation about my comments on ICI.
Which of my statements is incorrect?
I suggest you look at any map or aerial image of this once beautiful part of the Cheshire countryside and you will see ample evidence of man's relentless march to steal every last ounce out of the planet in the interests of lining his pocket and pursuing his own self interest.

I can remember once looking in to the Weaver and seeing what can only be described as a vision of hell as the putrid stench-filled chemical waste slowly made its way toward those unfortunates who had to suffer from it.
In response to Goofy's observation about my comments on ICI. Which of my statements is incorrect? I suggest you look at any map or aerial image of this once beautiful part of the Cheshire countryside and you will see ample evidence of man's relentless march to steal every last ounce out of the planet in the interests of lining his pocket and pursuing his own self interest. I can remember once looking in to the Weaver and seeing what can only be described as a vision of hell as the putrid stench-filled chemical waste slowly made its way toward those unfortunates who had to suffer from it. hectorplain
  • Score: 23

6:16pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Daniel18 says...

In response to the a letter I would just like to say that the traffic on Sunday would have been just as bad, if not worse, were the two-way system still in operation.

Many people seem to think that the old one-way system was perfect, they seem to have forgotten about the regular queues of traffic on Castle Hill, London Road and Winnington Hill!

With regards to shopping in Stockton Heath, there is a similar swing bridge there and you can guarantee that the traffic there would be 10 times worse than Northwich were it to break!

In relation to accessing the car parks, the reason Weaver Way has been closed is to showcase the riverfront and allow pedestrians to access the new Shops, Restaurants & Cinema which are due to be built off Weaver Way and on the current Barons Quay Car park. (According to the Northwich Riverside website construction is due to start this autumn).

The entrance to the new car park will be on Leicester Street - meaning that travelling via travelling via Venables Road to get to it won't be much further than going via Weaver Way (0.3 miles to be precise)
In response to the a letter I would just like to say that the traffic on Sunday would have been just as bad, if not worse, were the two-way system still in operation. Many people seem to think that the old one-way system was perfect, they seem to have forgotten about the regular queues of traffic on Castle Hill, London Road and Winnington Hill! With regards to shopping in Stockton Heath, there is a similar swing bridge there and you can guarantee that the traffic there would be 10 times worse than Northwich were it to break! In relation to accessing the car parks, the reason Weaver Way has been closed is to showcase the riverfront and allow pedestrians to access the new Shops, Restaurants & Cinema which are due to be built off Weaver Way and on the current Barons Quay Car park. (According to the Northwich Riverside website construction is due to start this autumn). The entrance to the new car park will be on Leicester Street - meaning that travelling via travelling via Venables Road to get to it won't be much further than going via Weaver Way (0.3 miles to be precise) Daniel18
  • Score: 2

8:17pm Fri 20 Jun 14

hectorplain says...

MatthewB wrote:
hectorplain wrote:
In response to Peter's excellent article on Northwich's grid-locked traffic system: I think it's an unreasonable expectation to assume that a small town like Northwich can ever hope to cope with hoards of car loads of people from all the peripheral over-spill villages like Barnton. Today people only want to go shopping if they can do so without having to walk more than a few yards.
Its no wonder the air is thick with traffic fumes that you could cut with a knife if people are sitting for hours in their cars rather than use the legs that God gave them. There are some really super little shops in Barnton where you could go and have a chat with your neighbors whilst supporting the local business community.
Do we really want to see Northwich spoiled by a mass of multistory car parks and countless extra bridges just so we can go shopping there? No, we don't.
Northwich is a wonderful picturesque town, steeped in its rich history, it must not be further ruined by mindless development just so we can have an easy ride there for shopping.

Furthermore, I blame ICI for not putting a proper bridge at Winnington. They quite happily milked the community for decades but did not provide a decent bridge to enable me to go to town without having to wait for the traffic lights or even worse having to go all the way via the pump.
At least the river there is a bit cleaner now. that they have moved on.
What do you want? A Metrolink like Manchester? A underground like London?

Unless you have a better idea stop moaning!
Mr MathewB

No No No,

We do not need any of those things you suggest.
The whole point of my post was that Northwich should not be threatened by further ill-conceived infrastructure development. The town evolved as part of salt producing cottage industry, this explains its rather unique and quaint character.

We can place the large super stores in places like Barnton or wherever they are needed in close proximity to other large community housing estates but we should not cram them all into Northwich and further detract from its charming appearance.
[quote][p][bold]MatthewB[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hectorplain[/bold] wrote: In response to Peter's excellent article on Northwich's grid-locked traffic system: I think it's an unreasonable expectation to assume that a small town like Northwich can ever hope to cope with hoards of car loads of people from all the peripheral over-spill villages like Barnton. Today people only want to go shopping if they can do so without having to walk more than a few yards. Its no wonder the air is thick with traffic fumes that you could cut with a knife if people are sitting for hours in their cars rather than use the legs that God gave them. There are some really super little shops in Barnton where you could go and have a chat with your neighbors whilst supporting the local business community. Do we really want to see Northwich spoiled by a mass of multistory car parks and countless extra bridges just so we can go shopping there? No, we don't. Northwich is a wonderful picturesque town, steeped in its rich history, it must not be further ruined by mindless development just so we can have an easy ride there for shopping. Furthermore, I blame ICI for not putting a proper bridge at Winnington. They quite happily milked the community for decades but did not provide a decent bridge to enable me to go to town without having to wait for the traffic lights or even worse having to go all the way via the pump. At least the river there is a bit cleaner now. that they have moved on.[/p][/quote]What do you want? A Metrolink like Manchester? A underground like London? Unless you have a better idea stop moaning![/p][/quote]Mr MathewB No No No, We do not need any of those things you suggest. The whole point of my post was that Northwich should not be threatened by further ill-conceived infrastructure development. The town evolved as part of salt producing cottage industry, this explains its rather unique and quaint character. We can place the large super stores in places like Barnton or wherever they are needed in close proximity to other large community housing estates but we should not cram them all into Northwich and further detract from its charming appearance. hectorplain
  • Score: 10

10:38pm Fri 20 Jun 14

47thmoon says...

I'm submitting a planning application to build a catapult next to the Anderton lift so residents of the west bank can be air lifted over byflats to Leicester Street and the Town's banks (a kind of drive through cash n carry). To get back there'll be an elastic band attached to a harness. So, hereon, whenever you hear the old man say he's just poppin out for some messages you can believe its all true!!
I'm submitting a planning application to build a catapult next to the Anderton lift so residents of the west bank can be air lifted over byflats to Leicester Street and the Town's banks (a kind of drive through cash n carry). To get back there'll be an elastic band attached to a harness. So, hereon, whenever you hear the old man say he's just poppin out for some messages you can believe its all true!! 47thmoon
  • Score: -8

12:02am Sat 21 Jun 14

nicksey says...

Hi Daniel18,

You say "In response to the a letter I would just like to say that the traffic on Sunday would have been just as bad, if not worse, were the two-way system still in operation."

I Just wanted to ask why it would have been just as bad, how do you come to this conclusion, you don't seem to have any figures or facts to back up your statement. The letter writer is speaking from the point of view travelling the route on the day in question, how do you know it would of been just as bad, if not worse?

You then go on to say "Many people seem to think that the old one-way system was perfect, they seem to have forgotten about the regular queues of traffic on Castle Hill, London Road and Winnington Hill!"

You seem to be ignoring the fact that queues on Castle Hill are now far worse than they were before the gyratory. This is a fact, I travel up Castle Hill every day and experience the long queues. The current situation is also far from perfect.

I have to say that I am becoming curious about your motives, you are of course entitled to defend the gyratory, that is your right. Yet you appear blinkered to the problems and concerns of residents and traders.

You must surely concede that the gyratory is not a benefit to everyone and that many people are inconvenienced by it. You seem to blindly defend any development that is conceived for Northwich regardless of the impact on residents or businesses. This gives the impression that your motives should be questioned,

Maybe you just like an argument. maybe you just like to play devils advocate, or maybe you have another agenda, but whatever it is, your arguments come across as very one sided and very defensive of any criticism towards CWAC and the current plans for the development of Northwich.

Just to clarify my position before you respond. I have lived and worked in Northwich for 30 years. I love Northwich and desperately want to see the town centre regenerate and for more shops and businesses to open. However I will not blindly approve any and every proposal that is forced upon us. I think it is great that we have a new Waitrose and a new Marina. I think that the Barons quay development should be a massive boost for Northwich and can't wait for it to happen.

However in contrast I think that the gyratory is bad for Northwich and should never have got past being a sketch on a piece of paper, I think that Asda on Barons quay is one Supermarket too far.

Daniel18 do you blindly agree with every development that is currently planned for Northwich?, because that is the impression you give.
Hi Daniel18, You say "In response to the a letter I would just like to say that the traffic on Sunday would have been just as bad, if not worse, were the two-way system still in operation." I Just wanted to ask why it would have been just as bad, how do you come to this conclusion, you don't seem to have any figures or facts to back up your statement. The letter writer is speaking from the point of view travelling the route on the day in question, how do you know it would of been just as bad, if not worse? You then go on to say "Many people seem to think that the old one-way system was perfect, they seem to have forgotten about the regular queues of traffic on Castle Hill, London Road and Winnington Hill!" You seem to be ignoring the fact that queues on Castle Hill are now far worse than they were before the gyratory. This is a fact, I travel up Castle Hill every day and experience the long queues. The current situation is also far from perfect. I have to say that I am becoming curious about your motives, you are of course entitled to defend the gyratory, that is your right. Yet you appear blinkered to the problems and concerns of residents and traders. You must surely concede that the gyratory is not a benefit to everyone and that many people are inconvenienced by it. You seem to blindly defend any development that is conceived for Northwich regardless of the impact on residents or businesses. This gives the impression that your motives should be questioned, Maybe you just like an argument. maybe you just like to play devils advocate, or maybe you have another agenda, but whatever it is, your arguments come across as very one sided and very defensive of any criticism towards CWAC and the current plans for the development of Northwich. Just to clarify my position before you respond. I have lived and worked in Northwich for 30 years. I love Northwich and desperately want to see the town centre regenerate and for more shops and businesses to open. However I will not blindly approve any and every proposal that is forced upon us. I think it is great that we have a new Waitrose and a new Marina. I think that the Barons quay development should be a massive boost for Northwich and can't wait for it to happen. However in contrast I think that the gyratory is bad for Northwich and should never have got past being a sketch on a piece of paper, I think that Asda on Barons quay is one Supermarket too far. Daniel18 do you blindly agree with every development that is currently planned for Northwich?, because that is the impression you give. nicksey
  • Score: 2

7:29am Sat 21 Jun 14

keith moss says...

MatthewB wrote:
hectorplain wrote:
In response to Peter's excellent article on Northwich's grid-locked traffic system: I think it's an unreasonable expectation to assume that a small town like Northwich can ever hope to cope with hoards of car loads of people from all the peripheral over-spill villages like Barnton. Today people only want to go shopping if they can do so without having to walk more than a few yards.
Its no wonder the air is thick with traffic fumes that you could cut with a knife if people are sitting for hours in their cars rather than use the legs that God gave them. There are some really super little shops in Barnton where you could go and have a chat with your neighbors whilst supporting the local business community.
Do we really want to see Northwich spoiled by a mass of multistory car parks and countless extra bridges just so we can go shopping there? No, we don't.
Northwich is a wonderful picturesque town, steeped in its rich history, it must not be further ruined by mindless development just so we can have an easy ride there for shopping.

Furthermore, I blame ICI for not putting a proper bridge at Winnington. They quite happily milked the community for decades but did not provide a decent bridge to enable me to go to town without having to wait for the traffic lights or even worse having to go all the way via the pump.
At least the river there is a bit cleaner now. that they have moved on.
What do you want? A Metrolink like Manchester? A underground like London?

Unless you have a better idea stop moaning!
The better idea is walk.
[quote][p][bold]MatthewB[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hectorplain[/bold] wrote: In response to Peter's excellent article on Northwich's grid-locked traffic system: I think it's an unreasonable expectation to assume that a small town like Northwich can ever hope to cope with hoards of car loads of people from all the peripheral over-spill villages like Barnton. Today people only want to go shopping if they can do so without having to walk more than a few yards. Its no wonder the air is thick with traffic fumes that you could cut with a knife if people are sitting for hours in their cars rather than use the legs that God gave them. There are some really super little shops in Barnton where you could go and have a chat with your neighbors whilst supporting the local business community. Do we really want to see Northwich spoiled by a mass of multistory car parks and countless extra bridges just so we can go shopping there? No, we don't. Northwich is a wonderful picturesque town, steeped in its rich history, it must not be further ruined by mindless development just so we can have an easy ride there for shopping. Furthermore, I blame ICI for not putting a proper bridge at Winnington. They quite happily milked the community for decades but did not provide a decent bridge to enable me to go to town without having to wait for the traffic lights or even worse having to go all the way via the pump. At least the river there is a bit cleaner now. that they have moved on.[/p][/quote]What do you want? A Metrolink like Manchester? A underground like London? Unless you have a better idea stop moaning![/p][/quote]The better idea is walk. keith moss
  • Score: 5

8:55am Sat 21 Jun 14

MatthewB says...

keith moss wrote:
MatthewB wrote:
hectorplain wrote:
In response to Peter's excellent article on Northwich's grid-locked traffic system: I think it's an unreasonable expectation to assume that a small town like Northwich can ever hope to cope with hoards of car loads of people from all the peripheral over-spill villages like Barnton. Today people only want to go shopping if they can do so without having to walk more than a few yards.
Its no wonder the air is thick with traffic fumes that you could cut with a knife if people are sitting for hours in their cars rather than use the legs that God gave them. There are some really super little shops in Barnton where you could go and have a chat with your neighbors whilst supporting the local business community.
Do we really want to see Northwich spoiled by a mass of multistory car parks and countless extra bridges just so we can go shopping there? No, we don't.
Northwich is a wonderful picturesque town, steeped in its rich history, it must not be further ruined by mindless development just so we can have an easy ride there for shopping.

Furthermore, I blame ICI for not putting a proper bridge at Winnington. They quite happily milked the community for decades but did not provide a decent bridge to enable me to go to town without having to wait for the traffic lights or even worse having to go all the way via the pump.
At least the river there is a bit cleaner now. that they have moved on.
What do you want? A Metrolink like Manchester? A underground like London?

Unless you have a better idea stop moaning!
The better idea is walk.
I agree. Walk or get the bus.

Chester is similar to Northwich and they have a park and ride facility to make the City centre more accessible to visitors. Chester is a nightmare for driving but it does not put people off going there. So why should people be put off coming to Northwich just because of a small one way system.
From the comments I have read so far it just shouts out lazy from a very small number of people (maybe a dozen at most).
Comments such as 'eight months after opening I’ve still not found the energy to do battle with the one way system and visit Waitrose' are just pathetic.
And listen to this one...'The gyratory that the majority of towns folk didn’t want was suspended'. More BS. I have not spoke to anyone that feels this way. Not one single person.
Like I say, this is a very small number of people who do not like the one way system. The majority of people do like it. It is a great benefit to Northwich and a great idea.
[quote][p][bold]keith moss[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MatthewB[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hectorplain[/bold] wrote: In response to Peter's excellent article on Northwich's grid-locked traffic system: I think it's an unreasonable expectation to assume that a small town like Northwich can ever hope to cope with hoards of car loads of people from all the peripheral over-spill villages like Barnton. Today people only want to go shopping if they can do so without having to walk more than a few yards. Its no wonder the air is thick with traffic fumes that you could cut with a knife if people are sitting for hours in their cars rather than use the legs that God gave them. There are some really super little shops in Barnton where you could go and have a chat with your neighbors whilst supporting the local business community. Do we really want to see Northwich spoiled by a mass of multistory car parks and countless extra bridges just so we can go shopping there? No, we don't. Northwich is a wonderful picturesque town, steeped in its rich history, it must not be further ruined by mindless development just so we can have an easy ride there for shopping. Furthermore, I blame ICI for not putting a proper bridge at Winnington. They quite happily milked the community for decades but did not provide a decent bridge to enable me to go to town without having to wait for the traffic lights or even worse having to go all the way via the pump. At least the river there is a bit cleaner now. that they have moved on.[/p][/quote]What do you want? A Metrolink like Manchester? A underground like London? Unless you have a better idea stop moaning![/p][/quote]The better idea is walk.[/p][/quote]I agree. Walk or get the bus. Chester is similar to Northwich and they have a park and ride facility to make the City centre more accessible to visitors. Chester is a nightmare for driving but it does not put people off going there. So why should people be put off coming to Northwich just because of a small one way system. From the comments I have read so far it just shouts out lazy from a very small number of people (maybe a dozen at most). Comments such as 'eight months after opening I’ve still not found the energy to do battle with the one way system and visit Waitrose' are just pathetic. And listen to this one...'The gyratory that the majority of towns folk didn’t want was suspended'. More BS. I have not spoke to anyone that feels this way. Not one single person. Like I say, this is a very small number of people who do not like the one way system. The majority of people do like it. It is a great benefit to Northwich and a great idea. MatthewB
  • Score: 8

9:11am Sat 21 Jun 14

nicksey says...

MatthewB wrote:
keith moss wrote:
MatthewB wrote:
hectorplain wrote:
In response to Peter's excellent article on Northwich's grid-locked traffic system: I think it's an unreasonable expectation to assume that a small town like Northwich can ever hope to cope with hoards of car loads of people from all the peripheral over-spill villages like Barnton. Today people only want to go shopping if they can do so without having to walk more than a few yards.
Its no wonder the air is thick with traffic fumes that you could cut with a knife if people are sitting for hours in their cars rather than use the legs that God gave them. There are some really super little shops in Barnton where you could go and have a chat with your neighbors whilst supporting the local business community.
Do we really want to see Northwich spoiled by a mass of multistory car parks and countless extra bridges just so we can go shopping there? No, we don't.
Northwich is a wonderful picturesque town, steeped in its rich history, it must not be further ruined by mindless development just so we can have an easy ride there for shopping.

Furthermore, I blame ICI for not putting a proper bridge at Winnington. They quite happily milked the community for decades but did not provide a decent bridge to enable me to go to town without having to wait for the traffic lights or even worse having to go all the way via the pump.
At least the river there is a bit cleaner now. that they have moved on.
What do you want? A Metrolink like Manchester? A underground like London?

Unless you have a better idea stop moaning!
The better idea is walk.
I agree. Walk or get the bus.

Chester is similar to Northwich and they have a park and ride facility to make the City centre more accessible to visitors. Chester is a nightmare for driving but it does not put people off going there. So why should people be put off coming to Northwich just because of a small one way system.
From the comments I have read so far it just shouts out lazy from a very small number of people (maybe a dozen at most).
Comments such as 'eight months after opening I’ve still not found the energy to do battle with the one way system and visit Waitrose' are just pathetic.
And listen to this one...'The gyratory that the majority of towns folk didn’t want was suspended'. More BS. I have not spoke to anyone that feels this way. Not one single person.
Like I say, this is a very small number of people who do not like the one way system. The majority of people do like it. It is a great benefit to Northwich and a great idea.
MathewB, My experience appears to be completely opposite to yours. I have yet to speak to anyone face to face who says that they think the gyratory is a good thing. Not a single one. Every single person that I have spoken to, without exception says that they think it is wrong for Northwich. Even Northwich Town council objected to it. As far as I can see the majority of people don't like it. It is not good for Northwich, wasn't needed and isn't wanted
[quote][p][bold]MatthewB[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]keith moss[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MatthewB[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hectorplain[/bold] wrote: In response to Peter's excellent article on Northwich's grid-locked traffic system: I think it's an unreasonable expectation to assume that a small town like Northwich can ever hope to cope with hoards of car loads of people from all the peripheral over-spill villages like Barnton. Today people only want to go shopping if they can do so without having to walk more than a few yards. Its no wonder the air is thick with traffic fumes that you could cut with a knife if people are sitting for hours in their cars rather than use the legs that God gave them. There are some really super little shops in Barnton where you could go and have a chat with your neighbors whilst supporting the local business community. Do we really want to see Northwich spoiled by a mass of multistory car parks and countless extra bridges just so we can go shopping there? No, we don't. Northwich is a wonderful picturesque town, steeped in its rich history, it must not be further ruined by mindless development just so we can have an easy ride there for shopping. Furthermore, I blame ICI for not putting a proper bridge at Winnington. They quite happily milked the community for decades but did not provide a decent bridge to enable me to go to town without having to wait for the traffic lights or even worse having to go all the way via the pump. At least the river there is a bit cleaner now. that they have moved on.[/p][/quote]What do you want? A Metrolink like Manchester? A underground like London? Unless you have a better idea stop moaning![/p][/quote]The better idea is walk.[/p][/quote]I agree. Walk or get the bus. Chester is similar to Northwich and they have a park and ride facility to make the City centre more accessible to visitors. Chester is a nightmare for driving but it does not put people off going there. So why should people be put off coming to Northwich just because of a small one way system. From the comments I have read so far it just shouts out lazy from a very small number of people (maybe a dozen at most). Comments such as 'eight months after opening I’ve still not found the energy to do battle with the one way system and visit Waitrose' are just pathetic. And listen to this one...'The gyratory that the majority of towns folk didn’t want was suspended'. More BS. I have not spoke to anyone that feels this way. Not one single person. Like I say, this is a very small number of people who do not like the one way system. The majority of people do like it. It is a great benefit to Northwich and a great idea.[/p][/quote]MathewB, My experience appears to be completely opposite to yours. I have yet to speak to anyone face to face who says that they think the gyratory is a good thing. Not a single one. Every single person that I have spoken to, without exception says that they think it is wrong for Northwich. Even Northwich Town council objected to it. As far as I can see the majority of people don't like it. It is not good for Northwich, wasn't needed and isn't wanted nicksey
  • Score: 0

9:29am Sat 21 Jun 14

MatthewB says...

nicksey wrote:
MatthewB wrote:
keith moss wrote:
MatthewB wrote:
hectorplain wrote:
In response to Peter's excellent article on Northwich's grid-locked traffic system: I think it's an unreasonable expectation to assume that a small town like Northwich can ever hope to cope with hoards of car loads of people from all the peripheral over-spill villages like Barnton. Today people only want to go shopping if they can do so without having to walk more than a few yards.
Its no wonder the air is thick with traffic fumes that you could cut with a knife if people are sitting for hours in their cars rather than use the legs that God gave them. There are some really super little shops in Barnton where you could go and have a chat with your neighbors whilst supporting the local business community.
Do we really want to see Northwich spoiled by a mass of multistory car parks and countless extra bridges just so we can go shopping there? No, we don't.
Northwich is a wonderful picturesque town, steeped in its rich history, it must not be further ruined by mindless development just so we can have an easy ride there for shopping.

Furthermore, I blame ICI for not putting a proper bridge at Winnington. They quite happily milked the community for decades but did not provide a decent bridge to enable me to go to town without having to wait for the traffic lights or even worse having to go all the way via the pump.
At least the river there is a bit cleaner now. that they have moved on.
What do you want? A Metrolink like Manchester? A underground like London?

Unless you have a better idea stop moaning!
The better idea is walk.
I agree. Walk or get the bus.

Chester is similar to Northwich and they have a park and ride facility to make the City centre more accessible to visitors. Chester is a nightmare for driving but it does not put people off going there. So why should people be put off coming to Northwich just because of a small one way system.
From the comments I have read so far it just shouts out lazy from a very small number of people (maybe a dozen at most).
Comments such as 'eight months after opening I’ve still not found the energy to do battle with the one way system and visit Waitrose' are just pathetic.
And listen to this one...'The gyratory that the majority of towns folk didn’t want was suspended'. More BS. I have not spoke to anyone that feels this way. Not one single person.
Like I say, this is a very small number of people who do not like the one way system. The majority of people do like it. It is a great benefit to Northwich and a great idea.
MathewB, My experience appears to be completely opposite to yours. I have yet to speak to anyone face to face who says that they think the gyratory is a good thing. Not a single one. Every single person that I have spoken to, without exception says that they think it is wrong for Northwich. Even Northwich Town council objected to it. As far as I can see the majority of people don't like it. It is not good for Northwich, wasn't needed and isn't wanted
Well we can sit here for a year and debate this.
Maybe Northwich Guardian should put it to the people and let them say what they think.
A on-line vote is needed. Yes or No. Good or Bad.
[quote][p][bold]nicksey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MatthewB[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]keith moss[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MatthewB[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hectorplain[/bold] wrote: In response to Peter's excellent article on Northwich's grid-locked traffic system: I think it's an unreasonable expectation to assume that a small town like Northwich can ever hope to cope with hoards of car loads of people from all the peripheral over-spill villages like Barnton. Today people only want to go shopping if they can do so without having to walk more than a few yards. Its no wonder the air is thick with traffic fumes that you could cut with a knife if people are sitting for hours in their cars rather than use the legs that God gave them. There are some really super little shops in Barnton where you could go and have a chat with your neighbors whilst supporting the local business community. Do we really want to see Northwich spoiled by a mass of multistory car parks and countless extra bridges just so we can go shopping there? No, we don't. Northwich is a wonderful picturesque town, steeped in its rich history, it must not be further ruined by mindless development just so we can have an easy ride there for shopping. Furthermore, I blame ICI for not putting a proper bridge at Winnington. They quite happily milked the community for decades but did not provide a decent bridge to enable me to go to town without having to wait for the traffic lights or even worse having to go all the way via the pump. At least the river there is a bit cleaner now. that they have moved on.[/p][/quote]What do you want? A Metrolink like Manchester? A underground like London? Unless you have a better idea stop moaning![/p][/quote]The better idea is walk.[/p][/quote]I agree. Walk or get the bus. Chester is similar to Northwich and they have a park and ride facility to make the City centre more accessible to visitors. Chester is a nightmare for driving but it does not put people off going there. So why should people be put off coming to Northwich just because of a small one way system. From the comments I have read so far it just shouts out lazy from a very small number of people (maybe a dozen at most). Comments such as 'eight months after opening I’ve still not found the energy to do battle with the one way system and visit Waitrose' are just pathetic. And listen to this one...'The gyratory that the majority of towns folk didn’t want was suspended'. More BS. I have not spoke to anyone that feels this way. Not one single person. Like I say, this is a very small number of people who do not like the one way system. The majority of people do like it. It is a great benefit to Northwich and a great idea.[/p][/quote]MathewB, My experience appears to be completely opposite to yours. I have yet to speak to anyone face to face who says that they think the gyratory is a good thing. Not a single one. Every single person that I have spoken to, without exception says that they think it is wrong for Northwich. Even Northwich Town council objected to it. As far as I can see the majority of people don't like it. It is not good for Northwich, wasn't needed and isn't wanted[/p][/quote]Well we can sit here for a year and debate this. Maybe Northwich Guardian should put it to the people and let them say what they think. A on-line vote is needed. Yes or No. Good or Bad. MatthewB
  • Score: 6

9:58am Sat 21 Jun 14

Anonamatty says...

MatthewB,
an online poll would be no good as the people that don't like the one way tend to be the loudest and will start a campaign to get all their friends to vote. Whereas the people that are happy with it, in my experience the majority, will just keep using the one way and have no need to show their approval in this way.

Daniel18
I am with you on the complete mess that was the old two way system and all the waiting around in queues, especially with roadworks and closed bridges.. CHAOS!
MatthewB, an online poll would be no good as the people that don't like the one way tend to be the loudest and will start a campaign to get all their friends to vote. Whereas the people that are happy with it, in my experience the majority, will just keep using the one way and have no need to show their approval in this way. Daniel18 I am with you on the complete mess that was the old two way system and all the waiting around in queues, especially with roadworks and closed bridges.. CHAOS! Anonamatty
  • Score: 1

7:02pm Sat 21 Jun 14

Daniel18 says...

nicksey wrote:
Hi Daniel18,

You say "In response to the a letter I would just like to say that the traffic on Sunday would have been just as bad, if not worse, were the two-way system still in operation."

I Just wanted to ask why it would have been just as bad, how do you come to this conclusion, you don't seem to have any figures or facts to back up your statement. The letter writer is speaking from the point of view travelling the route on the day in question, how do you know it would of been just as bad, if not worse?

You then go on to say "Many people seem to think that the old one-way system was perfect, they seem to have forgotten about the regular queues of traffic on Castle Hill, London Road and Winnington Hill!"

You seem to be ignoring the fact that queues on Castle Hill are now far worse than they were before the gyratory. This is a fact, I travel up Castle Hill every day and experience the long queues. The current situation is also far from perfect.

I have to say that I am becoming curious about your motives, you are of course entitled to defend the gyratory, that is your right. Yet you appear blinkered to the problems and concerns of residents and traders.

You must surely concede that the gyratory is not a benefit to everyone and that many people are inconvenienced by it. You seem to blindly defend any development that is conceived for Northwich regardless of the impact on residents or businesses. This gives the impression that your motives should be questioned,

Maybe you just like an argument. maybe you just like to play devils advocate, or maybe you have another agenda, but whatever it is, your arguments come across as very one sided and very defensive of any criticism towards CWAC and the current plans for the development of Northwich.

Just to clarify my position before you respond. I have lived and worked in Northwich for 30 years. I love Northwich and desperately want to see the town centre regenerate and for more shops and businesses to open. However I will not blindly approve any and every proposal that is forced upon us. I think it is great that we have a new Waitrose and a new Marina. I think that the Barons quay development should be a massive boost for Northwich and can't wait for it to happen.

However in contrast I think that the gyratory is bad for Northwich and should never have got past being a sketch on a piece of paper, I think that Asda on Barons quay is one Supermarket too far.

Daniel18 do you blindly agree with every development that is currently planned for Northwich?, because that is the impression you give.
Nicksey – you can question my motives all you want. You are constantly telling people on this site that everyone is entitled to their own opinion – but suddenly because I am pro to many development there must be some kind of conspiracy!
For your information, I am a young local resident who has lived in the Northwich area all my life, my parents, grandparents & great grandparents are all from the local area.
And despite what you seem to be accusing me of, I am not a Councillor, I'm not a fan of the Conservative party - In fact I have voted Labour all my life – including local elections. I hate what the Conservatives are doing to our county. They are destroying the public services, armed forces, police and other emergency services, whilst selling off the NHS to all their chums.
I’ll agree that I am in favour of some of the developments that are taking place in our town. I think the Baron's Quay development, the gyratory and Hayhurst Quay are all good go our town. I’ll also say that I think having ASDA in Barons Quay will be good. I say this as people who may have just been going for their weekly food shop are more to nip into other shops if the supermarket is located in the heart of the town centre rather than on out of town like TESCO.
However, I’m not in favour of everything – I think HS2 is a waste of money and will have no benefit to the local community and I was not in favour of the Incinerator.
With regards to the Bridge Closure, as a Northwich resident I’m sure you’ll remember the delays we all suffered back in 2002 when the bridges were closed for restoration? At the end of the day, If the old two was system had still been in operation now there would still have been the same number of cars on the road – they wouldn’t have miraculously got through any quicker. The queues you refer to on Castle Hill are due to the fact that traffic is moving out of town quicker than before causing traffic to build up at the Iron Bridge traffic lights.

I to use the gyratory on a daily basis, and I have never said that the new system is perfect, in fact I think it would have been better if we had been able to get the extra bridge linking directly to Leicester Street as was originally planned by Vale Royal Council, but unfortunately the government wouldn't fund it. So we've got to make the best use of what we've got, and I honestly believe that the new system is better for local resident and the majority of businesses that the old system used to be.
[quote][p][bold]nicksey[/bold] wrote: Hi Daniel18, You say "In response to the a letter I would just like to say that the traffic on Sunday would have been just as bad, if not worse, were the two-way system still in operation." I Just wanted to ask why it would have been just as bad, how do you come to this conclusion, you don't seem to have any figures or facts to back up your statement. The letter writer is speaking from the point of view travelling the route on the day in question, how do you know it would of been just as bad, if not worse? You then go on to say "Many people seem to think that the old one-way system was perfect, they seem to have forgotten about the regular queues of traffic on Castle Hill, London Road and Winnington Hill!" You seem to be ignoring the fact that queues on Castle Hill are now far worse than they were before the gyratory. This is a fact, I travel up Castle Hill every day and experience the long queues. The current situation is also far from perfect. I have to say that I am becoming curious about your motives, you are of course entitled to defend the gyratory, that is your right. Yet you appear blinkered to the problems and concerns of residents and traders. You must surely concede that the gyratory is not a benefit to everyone and that many people are inconvenienced by it. You seem to blindly defend any development that is conceived for Northwich regardless of the impact on residents or businesses. This gives the impression that your motives should be questioned, Maybe you just like an argument. maybe you just like to play devils advocate, or maybe you have another agenda, but whatever it is, your arguments come across as very one sided and very defensive of any criticism towards CWAC and the current plans for the development of Northwich. Just to clarify my position before you respond. I have lived and worked in Northwich for 30 years. I love Northwich and desperately want to see the town centre regenerate and for more shops and businesses to open. However I will not blindly approve any and every proposal that is forced upon us. I think it is great that we have a new Waitrose and a new Marina. I think that the Barons quay development should be a massive boost for Northwich and can't wait for it to happen. However in contrast I think that the gyratory is bad for Northwich and should never have got past being a sketch on a piece of paper, I think that Asda on Barons quay is one Supermarket too far. Daniel18 do you blindly agree with every development that is currently planned for Northwich?, because that is the impression you give.[/p][/quote]Nicksey – you can question my motives all you want. You are constantly telling people on this site that everyone is entitled to their own opinion – but suddenly because I am pro to many development there must be some kind of conspiracy! For your information, I am a young local resident who has lived in the Northwich area all my life, my parents, grandparents & great grandparents are all from the local area. And despite what you seem to be accusing me of, I am not a Councillor, I'm not a fan of the Conservative party - In fact I have voted Labour all my life – including local elections. I hate what the Conservatives are doing to our county. They are destroying the public services, armed forces, police and other emergency services, whilst selling off the NHS to all their chums. I’ll agree that I am in favour of some of the developments that are taking place in our town. I think the Baron's Quay development, the gyratory and Hayhurst Quay are all good go our town. I’ll also say that I think having ASDA in Barons Quay will be good. I say this as people who may have just been going for their weekly food shop are more to nip into other shops if the supermarket is located in the heart of the town centre rather than on out of town like TESCO. However, I’m not in favour of everything – I think HS2 is a waste of money and will have no benefit to the local community and I was not in favour of the Incinerator. With regards to the Bridge Closure, as a Northwich resident I’m sure you’ll remember the delays we all suffered back in 2002 when the bridges were closed for restoration? At the end of the day, If the old two was system had still been in operation now there would still have been the same number of cars on the road – they wouldn’t have miraculously got through any quicker. The queues you refer to on Castle Hill are due to the fact that traffic is moving out of town quicker than before causing traffic to build up at the Iron Bridge traffic lights. I to use the gyratory on a daily basis, and I have never said that the new system is perfect, in fact I think it would have been better if we had been able to get the extra bridge linking directly to Leicester Street as was originally planned by Vale Royal Council, but unfortunately the government wouldn't fund it. So we've got to make the best use of what we've got, and I honestly believe that the new system is better for local resident and the majority of businesses that the old system used to be. Daniel18
  • Score: 5

7:04pm Sat 21 Jun 14

j@northwich says...

Regarding comments above, may I put in my 2pennyworth on behalf of pedestrians? a) Walk into town:- Not everybody is fit enough or live close enough to walk into town. b) Get the bus:- Bus services have been or are planned to be cut, and also bus fares are - lets say a little on the high side.On the rare occasion I get the bus back from town (Im not lazy- I always walk into town) if Im laden with shopping from the Bullring to Leftwich Green my fare is £2.30, and rising by more than the rate of inflation every year.
One big problem with the gyratory for pedestrians is the traffic lights at the Bullring . The lights change so quickly, the little green may showing for a very short time, no central island, and if crossing into town the main flow of traffic comes from behind, past Parrs Bank. I have seen these factors cause real difficulty for senior citizens or mums with buggies and young children and so on get across the junction safely.
Most comment and debate about the gyratory comes from motorists, but I just felt it was time the pedestrian point of view was shared.
Regarding comments above, may I put in my 2pennyworth on behalf of pedestrians? a) Walk into town:- Not everybody is fit enough or live close enough to walk into town. b) Get the bus:- Bus services have been or are planned to be cut, and also bus fares are - lets say a little on the high side.On the rare occasion I get the bus back from town (Im not lazy- I always walk into town) if Im laden with shopping from the Bullring to Leftwich Green my fare is £2.30, and rising by more than the rate of inflation every year. One big problem with the gyratory for pedestrians is the traffic lights at the Bullring . The lights change so quickly, the little green may showing for a very short time, no central island, and if crossing into town the main flow of traffic comes from behind, past Parrs Bank. I have seen these factors cause real difficulty for senior citizens or mums with buggies and young children and so on get across the junction safely. Most comment and debate about the gyratory comes from motorists, but I just felt it was time the pedestrian point of view was shared. j@northwich
  • Score: 7

7:09pm Sat 21 Jun 14

Daniel18 says...

j@northwich wrote:
Regarding comments above, may I put in my 2pennyworth on behalf of pedestrians? a) Walk into town:- Not everybody is fit enough or live close enough to walk into town. b) Get the bus:- Bus services have been or are planned to be cut, and also bus fares are - lets say a little on the high side.On the rare occasion I get the bus back from town (Im not lazy- I always walk into town) if Im laden with shopping from the Bullring to Leftwich Green my fare is £2.30, and rising by more than the rate of inflation every year.
One big problem with the gyratory for pedestrians is the traffic lights at the Bullring . The lights change so quickly, the little green may showing for a very short time, no central island, and if crossing into town the main flow of traffic comes from behind, past Parrs Bank. I have seen these factors cause real difficulty for senior citizens or mums with buggies and young children and so on get across the junction safely.
Most comment and debate about the gyratory comes from motorists, but I just felt it was time the pedestrian point of view was shared.
Hi J.

I agree with you on your point regarding the pedestrian crossing at the Bullring - especially the crossing next to Nat West.

Hopefully the situation will improve once the road works are complete as the current crossing is only temporary.
[quote][p][bold]j@northwich[/bold] wrote: Regarding comments above, may I put in my 2pennyworth on behalf of pedestrians? a) Walk into town:- Not everybody is fit enough or live close enough to walk into town. b) Get the bus:- Bus services have been or are planned to be cut, and also bus fares are - lets say a little on the high side.On the rare occasion I get the bus back from town (Im not lazy- I always walk into town) if Im laden with shopping from the Bullring to Leftwich Green my fare is £2.30, and rising by more than the rate of inflation every year. One big problem with the gyratory for pedestrians is the traffic lights at the Bullring . The lights change so quickly, the little green may showing for a very short time, no central island, and if crossing into town the main flow of traffic comes from behind, past Parrs Bank. I have seen these factors cause real difficulty for senior citizens or mums with buggies and young children and so on get across the junction safely. Most comment and debate about the gyratory comes from motorists, but I just felt it was time the pedestrian point of view was shared.[/p][/quote]Hi J. I agree with you on your point regarding the pedestrian crossing at the Bullring - especially the crossing next to Nat West. Hopefully the situation will improve once the road works are complete as the current crossing is only temporary. Daniel18
  • Score: 4

3:27pm Sun 22 Jun 14

hectorplain says...

Hello Peter,

Your article has certainly generated some well-informed and lively discussion.

I sincerely hope that the planners are listening to all the intelligent suggestions being made here (and not just the ones by me). Let's hope they realise how strongly we feel about our lovely town, and even Barnton.

Don't forget, a lot of people who travel to Northwich have to pass through Barnton, shame about the eyesore (ICI) but hopefully it will all be buried soon and replaced with proper community housing.

Keep up the good work and thank you.
Hello Peter, Your article has certainly generated some well-informed and lively discussion. I sincerely hope that the planners are listening to all the intelligent suggestions being made here (and not just the ones by me). Let's hope they realise how strongly we feel about our lovely town, and even Barnton. Don't forget, a lot of people who travel to Northwich have to pass through Barnton, shame about the eyesore (ICI) but hopefully it will all be buried soon and replaced with proper community housing. Keep up the good work and thank you. hectorplain
  • Score: 3

5:10pm Sun 22 Jun 14

MatthewB says...

Daniel18 wrote:
nicksey wrote:
Hi Daniel18,

You say "In response to the a letter I would just like to say that the traffic on Sunday would have been just as bad, if not worse, were the two-way system still in operation."

I Just wanted to ask why it would have been just as bad, how do you come to this conclusion, you don't seem to have any figures or facts to back up your statement. The letter writer is speaking from the point of view travelling the route on the day in question, how do you know it would of been just as bad, if not worse?

You then go on to say "Many people seem to think that the old one-way system was perfect, they seem to have forgotten about the regular queues of traffic on Castle Hill, London Road and Winnington Hill!"

You seem to be ignoring the fact that queues on Castle Hill are now far worse than they were before the gyratory. This is a fact, I travel up Castle Hill every day and experience the long queues. The current situation is also far from perfect.

I have to say that I am becoming curious about your motives, you are of course entitled to defend the gyratory, that is your right. Yet you appear blinkered to the problems and concerns of residents and traders.

You must surely concede that the gyratory is not a benefit to everyone and that many people are inconvenienced by it. You seem to blindly defend any development that is conceived for Northwich regardless of the impact on residents or businesses. This gives the impression that your motives should be questioned,

Maybe you just like an argument. maybe you just like to play devils advocate, or maybe you have another agenda, but whatever it is, your arguments come across as very one sided and very defensive of any criticism towards CWAC and the current plans for the development of Northwich.

Just to clarify my position before you respond. I have lived and worked in Northwich for 30 years. I love Northwich and desperately want to see the town centre regenerate and for more shops and businesses to open. However I will not blindly approve any and every proposal that is forced upon us. I think it is great that we have a new Waitrose and a new Marina. I think that the Barons quay development should be a massive boost for Northwich and can't wait for it to happen.

However in contrast I think that the gyratory is bad for Northwich and should never have got past being a sketch on a piece of paper, I think that Asda on Barons quay is one Supermarket too far.

Daniel18 do you blindly agree with every development that is currently planned for Northwich?, because that is the impression you give.
Nicksey – you can question my motives all you want. You are constantly telling people on this site that everyone is entitled to their own opinion – but suddenly because I am pro to many development there must be some kind of conspiracy!
For your information, I am a young local resident who has lived in the Northwich area all my life, my parents, grandparents & great grandparents are all from the local area.
And despite what you seem to be accusing me of, I am not a Councillor, I'm not a fan of the Conservative party - In fact I have voted Labour all my life – including local elections. I hate what the Conservatives are doing to our county. They are destroying the public services, armed forces, police and other emergency services, whilst selling off the NHS to all their chums.
I’ll agree that I am in favour of some of the developments that are taking place in our town. I think the Baron's Quay development, the gyratory and Hayhurst Quay are all good go our town. I’ll also say that I think having ASDA in Barons Quay will be good. I say this as people who may have just been going for their weekly food shop are more to nip into other shops if the supermarket is located in the heart of the town centre rather than on out of town like TESCO.
However, I’m not in favour of everything – I think HS2 is a waste of money and will have no benefit to the local community and I was not in favour of the Incinerator.
With regards to the Bridge Closure, as a Northwich resident I’m sure you’ll remember the delays we all suffered back in 2002 when the bridges were closed for restoration? At the end of the day, If the old two was system had still been in operation now there would still have been the same number of cars on the road – they wouldn’t have miraculously got through any quicker. The queues you refer to on Castle Hill are due to the fact that traffic is moving out of town quicker than before causing traffic to build up at the Iron Bridge traffic lights.

I to use the gyratory on a daily basis, and I have never said that the new system is perfect, in fact I think it would have been better if we had been able to get the extra bridge linking directly to Leicester Street as was originally planned by Vale Royal Council, but unfortunately the government wouldn't fund it. So we've got to make the best use of what we've got, and I honestly believe that the new system is better for local resident and the majority of businesses that the old system used to be.
Brilliant comment. Good to hear a sensible voice speaking the truth.
[quote][p][bold]Daniel18[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nicksey[/bold] wrote: Hi Daniel18, You say "In response to the a letter I would just like to say that the traffic on Sunday would have been just as bad, if not worse, were the two-way system still in operation." I Just wanted to ask why it would have been just as bad, how do you come to this conclusion, you don't seem to have any figures or facts to back up your statement. The letter writer is speaking from the point of view travelling the route on the day in question, how do you know it would of been just as bad, if not worse? You then go on to say "Many people seem to think that the old one-way system was perfect, they seem to have forgotten about the regular queues of traffic on Castle Hill, London Road and Winnington Hill!" You seem to be ignoring the fact that queues on Castle Hill are now far worse than they were before the gyratory. This is a fact, I travel up Castle Hill every day and experience the long queues. The current situation is also far from perfect. I have to say that I am becoming curious about your motives, you are of course entitled to defend the gyratory, that is your right. Yet you appear blinkered to the problems and concerns of residents and traders. You must surely concede that the gyratory is not a benefit to everyone and that many people are inconvenienced by it. You seem to blindly defend any development that is conceived for Northwich regardless of the impact on residents or businesses. This gives the impression that your motives should be questioned, Maybe you just like an argument. maybe you just like to play devils advocate, or maybe you have another agenda, but whatever it is, your arguments come across as very one sided and very defensive of any criticism towards CWAC and the current plans for the development of Northwich. Just to clarify my position before you respond. I have lived and worked in Northwich for 30 years. I love Northwich and desperately want to see the town centre regenerate and for more shops and businesses to open. However I will not blindly approve any and every proposal that is forced upon us. I think it is great that we have a new Waitrose and a new Marina. I think that the Barons quay development should be a massive boost for Northwich and can't wait for it to happen. However in contrast I think that the gyratory is bad for Northwich and should never have got past being a sketch on a piece of paper, I think that Asda on Barons quay is one Supermarket too far. Daniel18 do you blindly agree with every development that is currently planned for Northwich?, because that is the impression you give.[/p][/quote]Nicksey – you can question my motives all you want. You are constantly telling people on this site that everyone is entitled to their own opinion – but suddenly because I am pro to many development there must be some kind of conspiracy! For your information, I am a young local resident who has lived in the Northwich area all my life, my parents, grandparents & great grandparents are all from the local area. And despite what you seem to be accusing me of, I am not a Councillor, I'm not a fan of the Conservative party - In fact I have voted Labour all my life – including local elections. I hate what the Conservatives are doing to our county. They are destroying the public services, armed forces, police and other emergency services, whilst selling off the NHS to all their chums. I’ll agree that I am in favour of some of the developments that are taking place in our town. I think the Baron's Quay development, the gyratory and Hayhurst Quay are all good go our town. I’ll also say that I think having ASDA in Barons Quay will be good. I say this as people who may have just been going for their weekly food shop are more to nip into other shops if the supermarket is located in the heart of the town centre rather than on out of town like TESCO. However, I’m not in favour of everything – I think HS2 is a waste of money and will have no benefit to the local community and I was not in favour of the Incinerator. With regards to the Bridge Closure, as a Northwich resident I’m sure you’ll remember the delays we all suffered back in 2002 when the bridges were closed for restoration? At the end of the day, If the old two was system had still been in operation now there would still have been the same number of cars on the road – they wouldn’t have miraculously got through any quicker. The queues you refer to on Castle Hill are due to the fact that traffic is moving out of town quicker than before causing traffic to build up at the Iron Bridge traffic lights. I to use the gyratory on a daily basis, and I have never said that the new system is perfect, in fact I think it would have been better if we had been able to get the extra bridge linking directly to Leicester Street as was originally planned by Vale Royal Council, but unfortunately the government wouldn't fund it. So we've got to make the best use of what we've got, and I honestly believe that the new system is better for local resident and the majority of businesses that the old system used to be.[/p][/quote]Brilliant comment. Good to hear a sensible voice speaking the truth. MatthewB
  • Score: -2

6:17pm Sun 22 Jun 14

Daniel18 says...

Thanks Matthew,

I'm sick and tired of all the negative posts that L Bryne, Peter, hectorplain & Nicksey have been posting - they need to realise that their views are not the only views that count - just because they don't want Barons Quay, Asda, Odeon and the one-way system doesn't mean that everyone else in Northwich doesn't want them either (Indeed Nicksey is constantly saying that everyone is entitled to their own opinion).

Everyone had was given a chance to voice their views and opinions about Barons Quay and the one-way system during the planning stages and the majority of people wanted the development & wanted the one-way system to stay. Whatever the council had done they were never going to be able to please everyone.

But, because the result was not the not they wanted there has to be some kind of conspiracy & the council are doing it to kill Northwich.

As I have said in many of my posts, I't's great to see that money is actually being invested in our town and I'm really looking forward to Baron's Quay and truly believe that the development will help to further improve the town.
Thanks Matthew, I'm sick and tired of all the negative posts that L Bryne, Peter, hectorplain & Nicksey have been posting - they need to realise that their views are not the only views that count - just because they don't want Barons Quay, Asda, Odeon and the one-way system doesn't mean that everyone else in Northwich doesn't want them either (Indeed Nicksey is constantly saying that everyone is entitled to their own opinion). Everyone had was given a chance to voice their views and opinions about Barons Quay and the one-way system during the planning stages and the majority of people wanted the development & wanted the one-way system to stay. Whatever the council had done they were never going to be able to please everyone. But, because the result was not the not they wanted there has to be some kind of conspiracy & the council are doing it to kill Northwich. As I have said in many of my posts, I't's great to see that money is actually being invested in our town and I'm really looking forward to Baron's Quay and truly believe that the development will help to further improve the town. Daniel18
  • Score: 1

9:11pm Sun 22 Jun 14

L Byrne says...

The scandal underlying the lunatic plan to inflict the gyratory sytem on Northwich is the nod and wink given to certain retailers that if they came to the town that the traffic flow would be adjusted as a gesture of gratitude. **** the expense and the inconvenience. After all , the logic in CWAC HQ in Chester went, the residents would be so grateful for even more supermarkets they would tolerate anything. And here we are.

Contrary to the nonsense spouted by Daniel18, none of the critics of the ASDA proposal are opposed to the development of Barons Quay. The point that we all make is that CWAC has missed an opportunity to transform the centre of the town into something we could all take pride in and be a commercial and cultural success at the same time. Instead, they have come up with supermarket number No 8 although , to be fair, this one will have a car park on the roof. Nice. That will bring visitors in their droves.

The situation has the makings of a total and ugly mess. You can bet that the crowd currently running CWAC Council would never let it happen in Chester.
The scandal underlying the lunatic plan to inflict the gyratory sytem on Northwich is the nod and wink given to certain retailers that if they came to the town that the traffic flow would be adjusted as a gesture of gratitude. **** the expense and the inconvenience. After all , the logic in CWAC HQ in Chester went, the residents would be so grateful for even more supermarkets they would tolerate anything. And here we are. Contrary to the nonsense spouted by Daniel18, none of the critics of the ASDA proposal are opposed to the development of Barons Quay. The point that we all make is that CWAC has missed an opportunity to transform the centre of the town into something we could all take pride in and be a commercial and cultural success at the same time. Instead, they have come up with supermarket number No 8 although , to be fair, this one will have a car park on the roof. Nice. That will bring visitors in their droves. The situation has the makings of a total and ugly mess. You can bet that the crowd currently running CWAC Council would never let it happen in Chester. L Byrne
  • Score: -2

10:50pm Sun 22 Jun 14

hectorplain says...

L Byrne wrote:
The scandal underlying the lunatic plan to inflict the gyratory sytem on Northwich is the nod and wink given to certain retailers that if they came to the town that the traffic flow would be adjusted as a gesture of gratitude. **** the expense and the inconvenience. After all , the logic in CWAC HQ in Chester went, the residents would be so grateful for even more supermarkets they would tolerate anything. And here we are.

Contrary to the nonsense spouted by Daniel18, none of the critics of the ASDA proposal are opposed to the development of Barons Quay. The point that we all make is that CWAC has missed an opportunity to transform the centre of the town into something we could all take pride in and be a commercial and cultural success at the same time. Instead, they have come up with supermarket number No 8 although , to be fair, this one will have a car park on the roof. Nice. That will bring visitors in their droves.

The situation has the makings of a total and ugly mess. You can bet that the crowd currently running CWAC Council would never let it happen in Chester.
Hello Mr L Burn

I have just read your post and I am most alarmed.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, it is most unfair that Northwich should get yet another Superstore, surely it would be more equitable and more beneficial to all if this investment were to be made in Barnton.

I suggest the old Co-op site could be used, the advantages of this are manifold, we probably wouldn't need the on-roof parking facility (totally impractical on a victorian pitched roof in any case), also the gyroscopic system is not yet required in Barnton, those electric scooters they have there are very maneuverable, they can turn on a hamburger.

A further benefit is that people from the outskirts would not have to spend hours driving to Northwich to get their shopping.

(Win Win as they say!)
[quote][p][bold]L Byrne[/bold] wrote: The scandal underlying the lunatic plan to inflict the gyratory sytem on Northwich is the nod and wink given to certain retailers that if they came to the town that the traffic flow would be adjusted as a gesture of gratitude. **** the expense and the inconvenience. After all , the logic in CWAC HQ in Chester went, the residents would be so grateful for even more supermarkets they would tolerate anything. And here we are. Contrary to the nonsense spouted by Daniel18, none of the critics of the ASDA proposal are opposed to the development of Barons Quay. The point that we all make is that CWAC has missed an opportunity to transform the centre of the town into something we could all take pride in and be a commercial and cultural success at the same time. Instead, they have come up with supermarket number No 8 although , to be fair, this one will have a car park on the roof. Nice. That will bring visitors in their droves. The situation has the makings of a total and ugly mess. You can bet that the crowd currently running CWAC Council would never let it happen in Chester.[/p][/quote]Hello Mr L Burn I have just read your post and I am most alarmed. I agree wholeheartedly with you, it is most unfair that Northwich should get yet another Superstore, surely it would be more equitable and more beneficial to all if this investment were to be made in Barnton. I suggest the old Co-op site could be used, the advantages of this are manifold, we probably wouldn't need the on-roof parking facility (totally impractical on a victorian pitched roof in any case), also the gyroscopic system is not yet required in Barnton, those electric scooters they have there are very maneuverable, they can turn on a hamburger. A further benefit is that people from the outskirts would not have to spend hours driving to Northwich to get their shopping. (Win Win as they say!) hectorplain
  • Score: 11

10:29am Mon 23 Jun 14

MatthewB says...

Daniel18 wrote:
Thanks Matthew,

I'm sick and tired of all the negative posts that L Bryne, Peter, hectorplain & Nicksey have been posting - they need to realise that their views are not the only views that count - just because they don't want Barons Quay, Asda, Odeon and the one-way system doesn't mean that everyone else in Northwich doesn't want them either (Indeed Nicksey is constantly saying that everyone is entitled to their own opinion).

Everyone had was given a chance to voice their views and opinions about Barons Quay and the one-way system during the planning stages and the majority of people wanted the development & wanted the one-way system to stay. Whatever the council had done they were never going to be able to please everyone.

But, because the result was not the not they wanted there has to be some kind of conspiracy & the council are doing it to kill Northwich.

As I have said in many of my posts, I't's great to see that money is actually being invested in our town and I'm really looking forward to Baron's Quay and truly believe that the development will help to further improve the town.
You are quite correct.
All the development is for the benefit of ALL Northwich people and visitors to the town.
Not for a tiny minority who disagree.

I am for all the new development. It not only creates jobs but also brings Northwich into the 21st centaury.
A modern town to rival modern cities and European towns.
Small wonder why Northwich has made the top 100 places to live in England.
[quote][p][bold]Daniel18[/bold] wrote: Thanks Matthew, I'm sick and tired of all the negative posts that L Bryne, Peter, hectorplain & Nicksey have been posting - they need to realise that their views are not the only views that count - just because they don't want Barons Quay, Asda, Odeon and the one-way system doesn't mean that everyone else in Northwich doesn't want them either (Indeed Nicksey is constantly saying that everyone is entitled to their own opinion). Everyone had was given a chance to voice their views and opinions about Barons Quay and the one-way system during the planning stages and the majority of people wanted the development & wanted the one-way system to stay. Whatever the council had done they were never going to be able to please everyone. But, because the result was not the not they wanted there has to be some kind of conspiracy & the council are doing it to kill Northwich. As I have said in many of my posts, I't's great to see that money is actually being invested in our town and I'm really looking forward to Baron's Quay and truly believe that the development will help to further improve the town.[/p][/quote]You are quite correct. All the development is for the benefit of ALL Northwich people and visitors to the town. Not for a tiny minority who disagree. I am for all the new development. It not only creates jobs but also brings Northwich into the 21st centaury. A modern town to rival modern cities and European towns. Small wonder why Northwich has made the top 100 places to live in England. MatthewB
  • Score: 3

12:14pm Mon 23 Jun 14

j@northwich says...

Like it or not Northwich is in a period of flux- sadly it cannot remain the sleepy little quaint market town it was 50 years ago. Whilst there are changes I dont want to see there are some that I think are necessary, but I'm prepared to give the developements a chance to prove themselves, and hopefully one day in the not too distant future Northwich will once again will have a prosperous, thriving town centre, with pleasant surrounding areas to live in.
Like it or not Northwich is in a period of flux- sadly it cannot remain the sleepy little quaint market town it was 50 years ago. Whilst there are changes I dont want to see there are some that I think are necessary, but I'm prepared to give the developements a chance to prove themselves, and hopefully one day in the not too distant future Northwich will once again will have a prosperous, thriving town centre, with pleasant surrounding areas to live in. j@northwich
  • Score: 5

12:21pm Mon 23 Jun 14

L Byrne says...

Matthew,

Think about. A new large ASDA , an acknowledged second rate retailer compared to Aldi, Lidl and Waitrose, will not attract new visitors into the town. Instead it may take business from Tesco, Sainsbury's and the Coop in Northwich with job losses in those stores. However, the largest casualties will be the small retailers in the town centre like the butchers, greengrocers and bakers etc. which will be targeted for obliteration by the giant. So the net effect will be a reduction in employment in the local retail sector.

Contrary to what you claim, ' modern cities' do not have large grocery supermarkets plonked in their centres. They tend to have other attractions like small parks, cultural facilities, childrens' play areas, riverside walks, restaurants, open market areas and so on. These create jobs in themselves but also attract visitors who then become customers of the local shops and services.

At most, city or town centres these days have a small number of Tesco Metro and Sainsbury's Local type outlets.

Barons Quay, because of its fantastic setting, has the potential to be become the jewel in the crown of a transformed Northwich but instead we have been let down by a bunch of inadequate politicians who don't have the imagination to see beyond yet another big and unwanted supermarket.
Or maybe they had their heads turned by some other factors that we can only speculate about.
Matthew, Think about. A new large ASDA , an acknowledged second rate retailer compared to Aldi, Lidl and Waitrose, will not attract new visitors into the town. Instead it may take business from Tesco, Sainsbury's and the Coop in Northwich with job losses in those stores. However, the largest casualties will be the small retailers in the town centre like the butchers, greengrocers and bakers etc. which will be targeted for obliteration by the giant. So the net effect will be a reduction in employment in the local retail sector. Contrary to what you claim, ' modern cities' do not have large grocery supermarkets plonked in their centres. They tend to have other attractions like small parks, cultural facilities, childrens' play areas, riverside walks, restaurants, open market areas and so on. These create jobs in themselves but also attract visitors who then become customers of the local shops and services. At most, city or town centres these days have a small number of Tesco Metro and Sainsbury's Local type outlets. Barons Quay, because of its fantastic setting, has the potential to be become the jewel in the crown of a transformed Northwich but instead we have been let down by a bunch of inadequate politicians who don't have the imagination to see beyond yet another big and unwanted supermarket. Or maybe they had their heads turned by some other factors that we can only speculate about. L Byrne
  • Score: 5

6:27pm Mon 23 Jun 14

Daniel18 says...

L Byrne wrote:
Matthew,

Think about. A new large ASDA , an acknowledged second rate retailer compared to Aldi, Lidl and Waitrose, will not attract new visitors into the town. Instead it may take business from Tesco, Sainsbury's and the Coop in Northwich with job losses in those stores. However, the largest casualties will be the small retailers in the town centre like the butchers, greengrocers and bakers etc. which will be targeted for obliteration by the giant. So the net effect will be a reduction in employment in the local retail sector.

Contrary to what you claim, ' modern cities' do not have large grocery supermarkets plonked in their centres. They tend to have other attractions like small parks, cultural facilities, childrens' play areas, riverside walks, restaurants, open market areas and so on. These create jobs in themselves but also attract visitors who then become customers of the local shops and services.

At most, city or town centres these days have a small number of Tesco Metro and Sainsbury's Local type outlets.

Barons Quay, because of its fantastic setting, has the potential to be become the jewel in the crown of a transformed Northwich but instead we have been let down by a bunch of inadequate politicians who don't have the imagination to see beyond yet another big and unwanted supermarket.
Or maybe they had their heads turned by some other factors that we can only speculate about.
L Bryne - Your argument about CWaC and Chester has already been proved wrong - there is already a Tesco Supermarket slap bang in the city centre - not forgetting Iceland, Waitrose and M&S Food - yet all of the other shops are still making money!

As well as the city centre supermarkets Chester also has ASDA, Sainsburys, Tesco, Morrisons, Aldi, Co-op supermakets on the outskirts of the city. Not forgetting the new Waitrose being constructed at Boughton. In addition the cities only cinema is currently being converted into ASDA.

Contrary to your claim - virtually every large town has a Supermarket in its town centre (Wilmslow, Crewe, Nantwich, Sandbach, Ellesmere Port, Warrington, Congleton - to name just a few)

ASDA is not the only shop we are getting as part of Barons Quay, there will also be a cinema, seven restaurants, over 25 new shops and a hotel – along with three new public squares and the riverside walk on Weaver Way.
[quote][p][bold]L Byrne[/bold] wrote: Matthew, Think about. A new large ASDA , an acknowledged second rate retailer compared to Aldi, Lidl and Waitrose, will not attract new visitors into the town. Instead it may take business from Tesco, Sainsbury's and the Coop in Northwich with job losses in those stores. However, the largest casualties will be the small retailers in the town centre like the butchers, greengrocers and bakers etc. which will be targeted for obliteration by the giant. So the net effect will be a reduction in employment in the local retail sector. Contrary to what you claim, ' modern cities' do not have large grocery supermarkets plonked in their centres. They tend to have other attractions like small parks, cultural facilities, childrens' play areas, riverside walks, restaurants, open market areas and so on. These create jobs in themselves but also attract visitors who then become customers of the local shops and services. At most, city or town centres these days have a small number of Tesco Metro and Sainsbury's Local type outlets. Barons Quay, because of its fantastic setting, has the potential to be become the jewel in the crown of a transformed Northwich but instead we have been let down by a bunch of inadequate politicians who don't have the imagination to see beyond yet another big and unwanted supermarket. Or maybe they had their heads turned by some other factors that we can only speculate about.[/p][/quote]L Bryne - Your argument about CWaC and Chester has already been proved wrong - there is already a Tesco Supermarket slap bang in the city centre - not forgetting Iceland, Waitrose and M&S Food - yet all of the other shops are still making money! As well as the city centre supermarkets Chester also has ASDA, Sainsburys, Tesco, Morrisons, Aldi, Co-op supermakets on the outskirts of the city. Not forgetting the new Waitrose being constructed at Boughton. In addition the cities only cinema is currently being converted into ASDA. Contrary to your claim - virtually every large town has a Supermarket in its town centre (Wilmslow, Crewe, Nantwich, Sandbach, Ellesmere Port, Warrington, Congleton - to name just a few) ASDA is not the only shop we are getting as part of Barons Quay, there will also be a cinema, seven restaurants, over 25 new shops and a hotel – along with three new public squares and the riverside walk on Weaver Way. Daniel18
  • Score: 5

9:54pm Tue 24 Jun 14

L Byrne says...

Daniel

Yet again you miss the point which is about the precise location of the proposed ASDA supermarket ie on the river frontage of what potentially could be the most attractive spot in the town if not in the area. An opportunity that could be used to create more jobs than yet another supermarket when you take into account employment ruined in other retail outlets.

Do you think for a minute that CWAC would allow a ruddy great ASDA or Tesco on the banks of the Dee in the heart of Chester or Boris Johnson would tolerate a monster Morrisons or Lidl along the Thames in the middle of London?

Thought not.

Then why should Northwich have to put up with it? The answer, I suspect , is that money talks.
Daniel Yet again you miss the point which is about the precise location of the proposed ASDA supermarket ie on the river frontage of what potentially could be the most attractive spot in the town if not in the area. An opportunity that could be used to create more jobs than yet another supermarket when you take into account employment ruined in other retail outlets. Do you think for a minute that CWAC would allow a ruddy great ASDA or Tesco on the banks of the Dee in the heart of Chester or Boris Johnson would tolerate a monster Morrisons or Lidl along the Thames in the middle of London? Thought not. Then why should Northwich have to put up with it? The answer, I suspect , is that money talks. L Byrne
  • Score: 4

6:30pm Wed 25 Jun 14

Daniel18 says...

L Byrne wrote:
Daniel

Yet again you miss the point which is about the precise location of the proposed ASDA supermarket ie on the river frontage of what potentially could be the most attractive spot in the town if not in the area. An opportunity that could be used to create more jobs than yet another supermarket when you take into account employment ruined in other retail outlets.

Do you think for a minute that CWAC would allow a ruddy great ASDA or Tesco on the banks of the Dee in the heart of Chester or Boris Johnson would tolerate a monster Morrisons or Lidl along the Thames in the middle of London?

Thought not.

Then why should Northwich have to put up with it? The answer, I suspect , is that money talks.
Asda is not on the River front - Asda will be on Leicester Street next to M&S, backing on to weaver way.

If you took the time to actually look at the plans you would see the Cinema, restaurants & Public Park are on the riverfront. The shops, along with Asda, the restaurants & Cinema have all been designed to enclose the waterworks that sits in the middle of the site fronting on to the river along with the large pipeline that runs down Weaver way -whilst at the same time showcasing as much as the riverfront as possible.

Northwich is not and never will be Chester. We don't have Roman city walls and an amphitheater in the middle of town. Northwich's heritage is as an industrial town.

At the end of the day Liam the development has already been approved and whether you like it or not ASDA and the rest of Barons Quay is coming to Northwich.
[quote][p][bold]L Byrne[/bold] wrote: Daniel Yet again you miss the point which is about the precise location of the proposed ASDA supermarket ie on the river frontage of what potentially could be the most attractive spot in the town if not in the area. An opportunity that could be used to create more jobs than yet another supermarket when you take into account employment ruined in other retail outlets. Do you think for a minute that CWAC would allow a ruddy great ASDA or Tesco on the banks of the Dee in the heart of Chester or Boris Johnson would tolerate a monster Morrisons or Lidl along the Thames in the middle of London? Thought not. Then why should Northwich have to put up with it? The answer, I suspect , is that money talks.[/p][/quote]Asda is not on the River front - Asda will be on Leicester Street next to M&S, backing on to weaver way. If you took the time to actually look at the plans you would see the Cinema, restaurants & Public Park are on the riverfront. The shops, along with Asda, the restaurants & Cinema have all been designed to enclose the waterworks that sits in the middle of the site fronting on to the river along with the large pipeline that runs down Weaver way -whilst at the same time showcasing as much as the riverfront as possible. Northwich is not and never will be Chester. We don't have Roman city walls and an amphitheater in the middle of town. Northwich's heritage is as an industrial town. At the end of the day Liam the development has already been approved and whether you like it or not ASDA and the rest of Barons Quay is coming to Northwich. Daniel18
  • Score: 5

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree