Church bells are noise pollution

Church bells are noise pollution

Church bells are noise pollution

First published in Letters

DO church bells not count as noise pollution or disturbing the peace?

I have to put up with the constant sound of ringing bells from as early as 8.30am every Sunday.

This disturbs my sleep on a regular basis. This is as well as, what I can only assume, is bell practice on Tuesday nights. I’m fairly sure I’d get arrested if I stood outside blasting my horn full blast.

Josh Carney Wesley Place Northwich

Comments (33)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:12pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Hibernian says...

I think that the sound well-rung church bells is one of the nice characteristics of any town or village. They have been ringing at Witton for well over a hundred years, I expect - it's not a new thing!

Sorry John - I really like the bells.
I think that the sound well-rung church bells is one of the nice characteristics of any town or village. They have been ringing at Witton for well over a hundred years, I expect - it's not a new thing! Sorry John - I really like the bells. Hibernian
  • Score: 35

7:15pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Bell Ringer says...

As a ringer myself, I am assuming you are talking about the bell's at St Helen's Witton? I ring there from time to time. As far as the night you referred to in your entry goes, you are mistaken, as their practice night is on a MONDAY, not Tuesday. Those particular bells were cast and placed in the tower in 1911, and, forgive me if I'm wrong, but the bells have therefore been there a much longer period of time than you have! I suggest that if you don't like the fact that this has been the situation for 103 years, then either: move abode; go to Safestyle UK or invest in some earplugs.
As a ringer myself, I am assuming you are talking about the bell's at St Helen's Witton? I ring there from time to time. As far as the night you referred to in your entry goes, you are mistaken, as their practice night is on a MONDAY, not Tuesday. Those particular bells were cast and placed in the tower in 1911, and, forgive me if I'm wrong, but the bells have therefore been there a much longer period of time than you have! I suggest that if you don't like the fact that this has been the situation for 103 years, then either: move abode; go to Safestyle UK or invest in some earplugs. Bell Ringer
  • Score: 39

11:08pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Cymo says...

I too enjoy listening to the bells, they're definitely a part of English traditional life - keep up the good work, folks!
I too enjoy listening to the bells, they're definitely a part of English traditional life - keep up the good work, folks! Cymo
  • Score: 28

1:05pm Thu 3 Apr 14

geoffat9 says...

I would sooner listen to the bells than the annoying scrap men riding round shouting and making stupid noises down a loud speaker ,a ice-cream van by law can only play there's for twelve seconds at a time , yet these idiots do it nonstop
I would sooner listen to the bells than the annoying scrap men riding round shouting and making stupid noises down a loud speaker ,a ice-cream van by law can only play there's for twelve seconds at a time , yet these idiots do it nonstop geoffat9
  • Score: 22

1:23pm Thu 3 Apr 14

nicksey says...

No Josh, Church bells are not noise pollution, they have been heard throughout this country on a Sunday morning for centuries. As has already been pointed out if you don't like it why do you live in Wesley Place just off Church Rd, not surprisingly, it's close to a church!
As for having your sleep disturbed as early as 8.30 in the morning, get out of bed and do something useful instead of moaning.
No Josh, Church bells are not noise pollution, they have been heard throughout this country on a Sunday morning for centuries. As has already been pointed out if you don't like it why do you live in Wesley Place just off Church Rd, not surprisingly, it's close to a church! As for having your sleep disturbed as early as 8.30 in the morning, get out of bed and do something useful instead of moaning. nicksey
  • Score: 26

3:27pm Thu 3 Apr 14

MrT1976 says...

That's the one thing I really do miss from living in Hartford - Sunday morning bells
That's the one thing I really do miss from living in Hartford - Sunday morning bells MrT1976
  • Score: 8

7:59pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Bazzer49 says...

This sounds like the guy who went to live in Little Budworth and then started to complain about the noise from Oulton Park. Or there was the American tourist who wondered why the Queen built Windsor Castle so close to Heathrow Airport!
This sounds like the guy who went to live in Little Budworth and then started to complain about the noise from Oulton Park. Or there was the American tourist who wondered why the Queen built Windsor Castle so close to Heathrow Airport! Bazzer49
  • Score: 4

9:52pm Thu 3 Apr 14

GrumpyBum says...

As a resident who also hears the ringing of Witton bells. It would be lovely if the ringing was actually musical and in tune, not just random. :-)
Other than that I quite like them
As a resident who also hears the ringing of Witton bells. It would be lovely if the ringing was actually musical and in tune, not just random. :-) Other than that I quite like them GrumpyBum
  • Score: -8

10:05pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Cymo says...

Practice makes perfect, Grumpy bum!
Practice makes perfect, Grumpy bum! Cymo
  • Score: 11

9:16am Sat 5 Apr 14

EdwardianHistorian says...

People need to get a serious grip!! I live within spitting distance of St Helen's and think the bells are lovely!! Think yourselves fortunate rather than moaning, as it could be a whole, whole lot worse.....

http://www.oxfordmai
l.co.uk/news/1863836
.muslims_bid_for_cal
l_to_prayer/
People need to get a serious grip!! I live within spitting distance of St Helen's and think the bells are lovely!! Think yourselves fortunate rather than moaning, as it could be a whole, whole lot worse..... http://www.oxfordmai l.co.uk/news/1863836 .muslims_bid_for_cal l_to_prayer/ EdwardianHistorian
  • Score: 7

12:17pm Sat 5 Apr 14

DandelionMemorials says...

I love the sound of the church bells. I can't wait for the warmer weather so I can sit outside on Tuesday nights again listening to them practicing.
8.30 in a morning isn't early even if it is a weekend. Get up and enjoy the day or invest in some ear plugs.
It's akin to the people who want to move to the countryside then moan about all the muck in the road!
I love the sound of the church bells. I can't wait for the warmer weather so I can sit outside on Tuesday nights again listening to them practicing. 8.30 in a morning isn't early even if it is a weekend. Get up and enjoy the day or invest in some ear plugs. It's akin to the people who want to move to the countryside then moan about all the muck in the road! DandelionMemorials
  • Score: 15

1:33am Mon 7 Apr 14

Local Fella says...

I don't think that 8.30 on a Sunday morning is to early, get up and do something with your life....make the most of the whole day not just the afternoon.
I don't think that 8.30 on a Sunday morning is to early, get up and do something with your life....make the most of the whole day not just the afternoon. Local Fella
  • Score: 9

11:44am Mon 7 Apr 14

GrumpyBum says...

Cymo wrote:
Practice makes perfect, Grumpy bum!
You would think so but there is definitely one bell out of tune with the rest and has been for as long as I have been here. :-)
[quote][p][bold]Cymo[/bold] wrote: Practice makes perfect, Grumpy bum![/p][/quote]You would think so but there is definitely one bell out of tune with the rest and has been for as long as I have been here. :-) GrumpyBum
  • Score: 0

3:08pm Mon 7 Apr 14

mrsc2412 says...

nicksey wrote:
No Josh, Church bells are not noise pollution, they have been heard throughout this country on a Sunday morning for centuries. As has already been pointed out if you don't like it why do you live in Wesley Place just off Church Rd, not surprisingly, it's close to a church! As for having your sleep disturbed as early as 8.30 in the morning, get out of bed and do something useful instead of moaning.
I don't think Mr Carney has lived in Wesley Place long. I was born there and I have never heard anybody else complain about them. I thnk he needs to get a grip and live the experience before moaning about church bells twice a week. There are plenty of worse sounds in the world!
[quote][p][bold]nicksey[/bold] wrote: No Josh, Church bells are not noise pollution, they have been heard throughout this country on a Sunday morning for centuries. As has already been pointed out if you don't like it why do you live in Wesley Place just off Church Rd, not surprisingly, it's close to a church! As for having your sleep disturbed as early as 8.30 in the morning, get out of bed and do something useful instead of moaning.[/p][/quote]I don't think Mr Carney has lived in Wesley Place long. I was born there and I have never heard anybody else complain about them. I thnk he needs to get a grip and live the experience before moaning about church bells twice a week. There are plenty of worse sounds in the world! mrsc2412
  • Score: 12

11:30am Wed 9 Apr 14

Ireallyreallyhatebells says...

I think the main issue hear is, you've all reached an age at which your hearing is failing and getting up early isn't an issue. Non-religious people should not have to listen to this just as you should no have to listen to my music. Correct. Not lived there long which allows me to compare to an area which doesn't have to put up with such a pathetic hobby. You're moaning about the rag and bone man? But that's gone on for hundreds of years around here. It gives northwich character...
I think the main issue hear is, you've all reached an age at which your hearing is failing and getting up early isn't an issue. Non-religious people should not have to listen to this just as you should no have to listen to my music. Correct. Not lived there long which allows me to compare to an area which doesn't have to put up with such a pathetic hobby. You're moaning about the rag and bone man? But that's gone on for hundreds of years around here. It gives northwich character... Ireallyreallyhatebells
  • Score: -6

12:19pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Borris Joorn says...

bells
bells Borris Joorn
  • Score: 1

12:26pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Borris Joorn says...

I think the point is being overshadowed some what. Although, yes bell ringing has been around since the 17th century, it is a medieval practice. It was around when capital punishment and jousting was commonplace.. And well, i haven't been jousted while on my afternoon stroll through the highstreet recently. Just because something has been around for a long time it doesn't make it right does it? Small pox was around for a long time, but thanks to technological advancements it was erradicated. I feel that with technological advancements church bell ringing can also be erradicated. The practice of bell ringing is to call people to church. Surely an email or even a text would surfice nowadays? Technology has advanced and so should the practices of the church.
I think the point is being overshadowed some what. Although, yes bell ringing has been around since the 17th century, it is a medieval practice. It was around when capital punishment and jousting was commonplace.. And well, i haven't been jousted while on my afternoon stroll through the highstreet recently. Just because something has been around for a long time it doesn't make it right does it? Small pox was around for a long time, but thanks to technological advancements it was erradicated. I feel that with technological advancements church bell ringing can also be erradicated. The practice of bell ringing is to call people to church. Surely an email or even a text would surfice nowadays? Technology has advanced and so should the practices of the church. Borris Joorn
  • Score: -8

12:32pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Littleme8 says...

Ireallyreallyhatebel
ls
wrote:
I think the main issue hear is, you've all reached an age at which your hearing is failing and getting up early isn't an issue. Non-religious people should not have to listen to this just as you should no have to listen to my music. Correct. Not lived there long which allows me to compare to an area which doesn't have to put up with such a pathetic hobby. You're moaning about the rag and bone man? But that's gone on for hundreds of years around here. It gives northwich character...
Not lived there long......however, you couldn't have missed St Helens Church when viewing the property so could it have been a possibility that it had Church Bells?! My hearing isn't failing, I'm early 30's, I can hear the Bells at St Helens from where I live, the Waterways Clock Tower which chimes every hour on the hour (including the middle of the night) and (up until recently) the Bells at Holy Trinity Church, Castle on a Sunday morning. I'm not religious, enjoy a lie in at the weekends but find the Bells/chimes quite soothing and comforting....even with a hangover! ...I'd suggest a little more research the next time you buy a property...
[quote][p][bold]Ireallyreallyhatebel ls[/bold] wrote: I think the main issue hear is, you've all reached an age at which your hearing is failing and getting up early isn't an issue. Non-religious people should not have to listen to this just as you should no have to listen to my music. Correct. Not lived there long which allows me to compare to an area which doesn't have to put up with such a pathetic hobby. You're moaning about the rag and bone man? But that's gone on for hundreds of years around here. It gives northwich character...[/p][/quote]Not lived there long......however, you couldn't have missed St Helens Church when viewing the property so could it have been a possibility that it had Church Bells?! My hearing isn't failing, I'm early 30's, I can hear the Bells at St Helens from where I live, the Waterways Clock Tower which chimes every hour on the hour (including the middle of the night) and (up until recently) the Bells at Holy Trinity Church, Castle on a Sunday morning. I'm not religious, enjoy a lie in at the weekends but find the Bells/chimes quite soothing and comforting....even with a hangover! ...I'd suggest a little more research the next time you buy a property... Littleme8
  • Score: 5

12:35pm Wed 9 Apr 14

amoderndaygod says...

although i see some of the young brigade wanting to eradicate such a stellar part of northwich's history.. i fully believe this is a wonderful part of our culture and i think josh and 'borris joorn' should spend a little more of their no doubt wasted youth on educating themselves on some of the most iconic things in northwich town. long live the church bells!
although i see some of the young brigade wanting to eradicate such a stellar part of northwich's history.. i fully believe this is a wonderful part of our culture and i think josh and 'borris joorn' should spend a little more of their no doubt wasted youth on educating themselves on some of the most iconic things in northwich town. long live the church bells! amoderndaygod
  • Score: 9

12:38pm Wed 9 Apr 14

amoderndaygod says...

on the other side of the fence though. hearing the bells ringing for 45 minutes at 8.30 on a sunday morning is difficult after a night in the old garlandsss.
on the other side of the fence though. hearing the bells ringing for 45 minutes at 8.30 on a sunday morning is difficult after a night in the old garlandsss. amoderndaygod
  • Score: -1

1:08pm Wed 9 Apr 14

MondayBez says...

Can't the church substitute bells for maracas?
Can't the church substitute bells for maracas? MondayBez
  • Score: 0

2:58pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Ireallyreallyhatebells says...

All I want is a decent John Kip on after a long night of getting a wobble on I'm the bad guy. Rather life next to mad dogs
All I want is a decent John Kip on after a long night of getting a wobble on I'm the bad guy. Rather life next to mad dogs Ireallyreallyhatebells
  • Score: -2

3:31pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Dandycock says...

Is that ringing for 45 minutes, every Sunday, at 8.30 am? And how many people get pleasure from this, and how many find it annoying? I would suggest its a question of balance.
Is that ringing for 45 minutes, every Sunday, at 8.30 am? And how many people get pleasure from this, and how many find it annoying? I would suggest its a question of balance. Dandycock
  • Score: 0

4:59pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Local Fella says...

LETS LOOK AT SOME FACTS.....
WHEN YOUR MOVED INTO WESLEY PLACE DID YOU KNOW THAT THE CHURCH HAD BELLS AND THEY RUNG THEM ON SUNDAY MORNING.
I MAY BE GUESSING BUT I THINK THE CHURCH BELLS HAD BEEN RUNG BEFORE YOU MOVED IN.......... IF ITS THAT BAD JUST MOVE !!
LETS LOOK AT SOME FACTS..... WHEN YOUR MOVED INTO WESLEY PLACE DID YOU KNOW THAT THE CHURCH HAD BELLS AND THEY RUNG THEM ON SUNDAY MORNING. I MAY BE GUESSING BUT I THINK THE CHURCH BELLS HAD BEEN RUNG BEFORE YOU MOVED IN.......... IF ITS THAT BAD JUST MOVE !! Local Fella
  • Score: 3

5:05pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Local Fella says...

OH AND ANOTHER THING AS REGARDS NOISE....YOU ONLY LIVE A FEW HUNDRED YARDS FROM CHESTER WAY DUAL CARRIAGEWAY AND JUST UP FROM THE NOISIEST BOOZERS IN TOWN....AND DON'T FORGET NORTHWICH IS JUST OFF THE FLIGHT PATH INTO MANCHESTER AIRPORT..
OH AND ANOTHER THING AS REGARDS NOISE....YOU ONLY LIVE A FEW HUNDRED YARDS FROM CHESTER WAY DUAL CARRIAGEWAY AND JUST UP FROM THE NOISIEST BOOZERS IN TOWN....AND DON'T FORGET NORTHWICH IS JUST OFF THE FLIGHT PATH INTO MANCHESTER AIRPORT.. Local Fella
  • Score: 4

5:12pm Wed 9 Apr 14

The Town Crier says...

I agree with Josh I'm afraid. Church bells are nothing but annoyance of an evening, especially for parents with young children living close by. You say move house, however some people simply cannot afford to do that in this day and age.

At the end of the day a Bell is a talentless instrument and if I turned up outside your door with my drum kit (which I cannot play) and started making a racket, there would be hell to pay.

I think Josh did the right thing voicing his frustrations and that some of you have teamed up and lodged an attack here against what is just one persons opinion. These letters are about OPINIONS people.
I agree with Josh I'm afraid. Church bells are nothing but annoyance of an evening, especially for parents with young children living close by. You say move house, however some people simply cannot afford to do that in this day and age. At the end of the day a Bell is a talentless instrument and if I turned up outside your door with my drum kit (which I cannot play) and started making a racket, there would be hell to pay. I think Josh did the right thing voicing his frustrations and that some of you have teamed up and lodged an attack here against what is just one persons opinion. These letters are about OPINIONS people. The Town Crier
  • Score: 0

7:47pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Local Fella says...

The Town Crier wrote:
I agree with Josh I'm afraid. Church bells are nothing but annoyance of an evening, especially for parents with young children living close by. You say move house, however some people simply cannot afford to do that in this day and age.

At the end of the day a Bell is a talentless instrument and if I turned up outside your door with my drum kit (which I cannot play) and started making a racket, there would be hell to pay.

I think Josh did the right thing voicing his frustrations and that some of you have teamed up and lodged an attack here against what is just one persons opinion. These letters are about OPINIONS people.
You are correct people are entitled to an opinion, but how can the complainant moan about something that was there when they moved to the property. Whilst on the subject of opinions i think your statement "Church bells are nothing but annoyance of an evening" is absolute rubbish....but that's my opinion. I understand that a noise of an evening may be an inconvenience to some but it is NOT noise pollution.
[quote][p][bold]The Town Crier[/bold] wrote: I agree with Josh I'm afraid. Church bells are nothing but annoyance of an evening, especially for parents with young children living close by. You say move house, however some people simply cannot afford to do that in this day and age. At the end of the day a Bell is a talentless instrument and if I turned up outside your door with my drum kit (which I cannot play) and started making a racket, there would be hell to pay. I think Josh did the right thing voicing his frustrations and that some of you have teamed up and lodged an attack here against what is just one persons opinion. These letters are about OPINIONS people.[/p][/quote]You are correct people are entitled to an opinion, but how can the complainant moan about something that was there when they moved to the property. Whilst on the subject of opinions i think your statement "Church bells are nothing but annoyance of an evening" is absolute rubbish....but that's my opinion. I understand that a noise of an evening may be an inconvenience to some but it is NOT noise pollution. Local Fella
  • Score: 2

7:53pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Local Fella says...

Bell Ringer wrote:
As a ringer myself, I am assuming you are talking about the bell's at St Helen's Witton? I ring there from time to time. As far as the night you referred to in your entry goes, you are mistaken, as their practice night is on a MONDAY, not Tuesday. Those particular bells were cast and placed in the tower in 1911, and, forgive me if I'm wrong, but the bells have therefore been there a much longer period of time than you have! I suggest that if you don't like the fact that this has been the situation for 103 years, then either: move abode; go to Safestyle UK or invest in some earplugs.
Could not have put it better myself +1 to Bell Ringer.
[quote][p][bold]Bell Ringer[/bold] wrote: As a ringer myself, I am assuming you are talking about the bell's at St Helen's Witton? I ring there from time to time. As far as the night you referred to in your entry goes, you are mistaken, as their practice night is on a MONDAY, not Tuesday. Those particular bells were cast and placed in the tower in 1911, and, forgive me if I'm wrong, but the bells have therefore been there a much longer period of time than you have! I suggest that if you don't like the fact that this has been the situation for 103 years, then either: move abode; go to Safestyle UK or invest in some earplugs.[/p][/quote]Could not have put it better myself +1 to Bell Ringer. Local Fella
  • Score: 1

10:56pm Wed 9 Apr 14

The Town Crier says...

Local Fella wrote:
The Town Crier wrote:
I agree with Josh I'm afraid. Church bells are nothing but annoyance of an evening, especially for parents with young children living close by. You say move house, however some people simply cannot afford to do that in this day and age.

At the end of the day a Bell is a talentless instrument and if I turned up outside your door with my drum kit (which I cannot play) and started making a racket, there would be hell to pay.

I think Josh did the right thing voicing his frustrations and that some of you have teamed up and lodged an attack here against what is just one persons opinion. These letters are about OPINIONS people.
You are correct people are entitled to an opinion, but how can the complainant moan about something that was there when they moved to the property. Whilst on the subject of opinions i think your statement "Church bells are nothing but annoyance of an evening" is absolute rubbish....but that's my opinion. I understand that a noise of an evening may be an inconvenience to some but it is NOT noise pollution.
Yes, but some people can't pick and choose where they live. We're not all that fortunate I'm afraid.

I stand by my opinion as they are an annoyance. As Borris pointed out, we're in the mordern age now and therefore why not send a text or a quick email?
I think after the 103 years those bloody bells have been there, we'd know the church is open? Surely?

I think it's wrong everyone slating Mr Carney for his letter complaining about this noise without knowing his situation, as like I said it may not be his choice that he lives so close to the church.

I'm sure if he played his favourite song (Which I only assume is Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell) as often as the church rang it's bells, and at the same volume there would be many complaints.
[quote][p][bold]Local Fella[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Town Crier[/bold] wrote: I agree with Josh I'm afraid. Church bells are nothing but annoyance of an evening, especially for parents with young children living close by. You say move house, however some people simply cannot afford to do that in this day and age. At the end of the day a Bell is a talentless instrument and if I turned up outside your door with my drum kit (which I cannot play) and started making a racket, there would be hell to pay. I think Josh did the right thing voicing his frustrations and that some of you have teamed up and lodged an attack here against what is just one persons opinion. These letters are about OPINIONS people.[/p][/quote]You are correct people are entitled to an opinion, but how can the complainant moan about something that was there when they moved to the property. Whilst on the subject of opinions i think your statement "Church bells are nothing but annoyance of an evening" is absolute rubbish....but that's my opinion. I understand that a noise of an evening may be an inconvenience to some but it is NOT noise pollution.[/p][/quote]Yes, but some people can't pick and choose where they live. We're not all that fortunate I'm afraid. I stand by my opinion as they are an annoyance. As Borris pointed out, we're in the mordern age now and therefore why not send a text or a quick email? I think after the 103 years those bloody bells have been there, we'd know the church is open? Surely? I think it's wrong everyone slating Mr Carney for his letter complaining about this noise without knowing his situation, as like I said it may not be his choice that he lives so close to the church. I'm sure if he played his favourite song (Which I only assume is Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell) as often as the church rang it's bells, and at the same volume there would be many complaints. The Town Crier
  • Score: -3

1:27am Thu 10 Apr 14

Local Fella says...

The Town Crier wrote:
Local Fella wrote:
The Town Crier wrote:
I agree with Josh I'm afraid. Church bells are nothing but annoyance of an evening, especially for parents with young children living close by. You say move house, however some people simply cannot afford to do that in this day and age.

At the end of the day a Bell is a talentless instrument and if I turned up outside your door with my drum kit (which I cannot play) and started making a racket, there would be hell to pay.

I think Josh did the right thing voicing his frustrations and that some of you have teamed up and lodged an attack here against what is just one persons opinion. These letters are about OPINIONS people.
You are correct people are entitled to an opinion, but how can the complainant moan about something that was there when they moved to the property. Whilst on the subject of opinions i think your statement "Church bells are nothing but annoyance of an evening" is absolute rubbish....but that's my opinion. I understand that a noise of an evening may be an inconvenience to some but it is NOT noise pollution.
Yes, but some people can't pick and choose where they live. We're not all that fortunate I'm afraid.

I stand by my opinion as they are an annoyance. As Borris pointed out, we're in the mordern age now and therefore why not send a text or a quick email?
I think after the 103 years those bloody bells have been there, we'd know the church is open? Surely?

I think it's wrong everyone slating Mr Carney for his letter complaining about this noise without knowing his situation, as like I said it may not be his choice that he lives so close to the church.

I'm sure if he played his favourite song (Which I only assume is Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell) as often as the church rang it's bells, and at the same volume there would be many complaints.
Its going off subject but i quite like the song Bat out of hell...... I'm not wanting to get into any tit for tat comments but the original subject was regarding noise pollution... I'm only guessing but any church would have to comply with ecclesiastical law as when they could ring the bells.

http://www.churchofe
ngland.org/media/394
399/bells.pdf
[quote][p][bold]The Town Crier[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Local Fella[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Town Crier[/bold] wrote: I agree with Josh I'm afraid. Church bells are nothing but annoyance of an evening, especially for parents with young children living close by. You say move house, however some people simply cannot afford to do that in this day and age. At the end of the day a Bell is a talentless instrument and if I turned up outside your door with my drum kit (which I cannot play) and started making a racket, there would be hell to pay. I think Josh did the right thing voicing his frustrations and that some of you have teamed up and lodged an attack here against what is just one persons opinion. These letters are about OPINIONS people.[/p][/quote]You are correct people are entitled to an opinion, but how can the complainant moan about something that was there when they moved to the property. Whilst on the subject of opinions i think your statement "Church bells are nothing but annoyance of an evening" is absolute rubbish....but that's my opinion. I understand that a noise of an evening may be an inconvenience to some but it is NOT noise pollution.[/p][/quote]Yes, but some people can't pick and choose where they live. We're not all that fortunate I'm afraid. I stand by my opinion as they are an annoyance. As Borris pointed out, we're in the mordern age now and therefore why not send a text or a quick email? I think after the 103 years those bloody bells have been there, we'd know the church is open? Surely? I think it's wrong everyone slating Mr Carney for his letter complaining about this noise without knowing his situation, as like I said it may not be his choice that he lives so close to the church. I'm sure if he played his favourite song (Which I only assume is Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell) as often as the church rang it's bells, and at the same volume there would be many complaints.[/p][/quote]Its going off subject but i quite like the song Bat out of hell...... I'm not wanting to get into any tit for tat comments but the original subject was regarding noise pollution... I'm only guessing but any church would have to comply with ecclesiastical law as when they could ring the bells. http://www.churchofe ngland.org/media/394 399/bells.pdf Local Fella
  • Score: 0

2:46pm Thu 10 Apr 14

Ireallyreallyhatebells says...

Local Fella wrote:
LETS LOOK AT SOME FACTS.....
WHEN YOUR MOVED INTO WESLEY PLACE DID YOU KNOW THAT THE CHURCH HAD BELLS AND THEY RUNG THEM ON SUNDAY MORNING.
I MAY BE GUESSING BUT I THINK THE CHURCH BELLS HAD BEEN RUNG BEFORE YOU MOVED IN.......... IF ITS THAT BAD JUST MOVE !!
Alright big un, no need too shout!
[quote][p][bold]Local Fella[/bold] wrote: LETS LOOK AT SOME FACTS..... WHEN YOUR MOVED INTO WESLEY PLACE DID YOU KNOW THAT THE CHURCH HAD BELLS AND THEY RUNG THEM ON SUNDAY MORNING. I MAY BE GUESSING BUT I THINK THE CHURCH BELLS HAD BEEN RUNG BEFORE YOU MOVED IN.......... IF ITS THAT BAD JUST MOVE !![/p][/quote]Alright big un, no need too shout! Ireallyreallyhatebells
  • Score: 3

2:51pm Thu 10 Apr 14

Ireallyreallyhatebells says...

The Town Crier wrote:
I agree with Josh I'm afraid. Church bells are nothing but annoyance of an evening, especially for parents with young children living close by. You say move house, however some people simply cannot afford to do that in this day and age.

At the end of the day a Bell is a talentless instrument and if I turned up outside your door with my drum kit (which I cannot play) and started making a racket, there would be hell to pay.

I think Josh did the right thing voicing his frustrations and that some of you have teamed up and lodged an attack here against what is just one persons opinion. These letters are about OPINIONS people.
I'm a full time student and a full time chef. The house share in Wesley Place is all I could afford, so as you say, I haven't got the luxury of choosing a nice quiet home. I take what I can get. As for getting up and doing something with my life, I'm going to university in September. Sleep is essential due to my lifestyle. It's all fun and games till a bell ringer gets involved...
[quote][p][bold]The Town Crier[/bold] wrote: I agree with Josh I'm afraid. Church bells are nothing but annoyance of an evening, especially for parents with young children living close by. You say move house, however some people simply cannot afford to do that in this day and age. At the end of the day a Bell is a talentless instrument and if I turned up outside your door with my drum kit (which I cannot play) and started making a racket, there would be hell to pay. I think Josh did the right thing voicing his frustrations and that some of you have teamed up and lodged an attack here against what is just one persons opinion. These letters are about OPINIONS people.[/p][/quote]I'm a full time student and a full time chef. The house share in Wesley Place is all I could afford, so as you say, I haven't got the luxury of choosing a nice quiet home. I take what I can get. As for getting up and doing something with my life, I'm going to university in September. Sleep is essential due to my lifestyle. It's all fun and games till a bell ringer gets involved... Ireallyreallyhatebells
  • Score: -4

3:07pm Thu 10 Apr 14

Cymo says...

I am not religious, and don't go to church, but I find the sound of bells very cheerful! Keep up the good work, folks!
I am not religious, and don't go to church, but I find the sound of bells very cheerful! Keep up the good work, folks! Cymo
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree