There is undoubtedly less riding on tomorrow afternoon’s meeting between Witton Albion and Sheffield than there has been in the ones that have preceded it.

The past three games have been close, with a single goal separating the sides.

One would be enough though for Witton to reach 100 for the season in league games.

Sheffield 0-1 Witton: August 27, 2016

Prince Haywood held his nerve to convert a penalty that secured maximum points, and with it a third successive win, at the start of the season.

In a game of few chances, Club went closest to an opening goal when Witton’s Ryan Hickman deflected Liam Royles’ cross onto an upright.

The contest appeared to be heading towards a stalemate in stoppage time when Albion substitute Wes Benjamin was tripped by Reece Treasure as he burst into the area.

Referee James Shipley whistled for a foul, and Haywood did the rest.

Sheffield 0-1 Witton: November 1, 2014

AN FA Trophy second qualifying round tie was a significant one for Tony Sullivan, bringing with it a first victory since taking over as Albion boss.

Alex Titchiner was the visitors’ match-winner, swerving around away from goalkeeper Joe Green before rolling in a ball he had intercepted when Richard Stirrup was careless knocking it backwards towards his custodian.

Even though Sullivan had only taken charge weeks earlier, pressure on him had started to mount following a sequence of seven successive defeats.

“We’ll enjoy this moment because we’ve worked so hard for it,” he said afterwards.

Witton 3-0 Sheffield: Novemb er 28, 2009

Albion ran out comfortable victors against a Sheffield side that arrived at Wincham Park at the top of the First Division South standings and unbeaten in their previous eight matches.

Brian Pritchard’s spectacular overhead kick put the hosts in front before Paul Henry stroked in a second goal from 25 yards.

Their victory was complete when Peter Heler applied a clinical finish on 66 minutes.

“I was surprised at just how comfortable we were,” reflected Witton boss Gary Finley afterwards.

Sheffield 1-0 Witton: September 15, 2009

Witton were grateful to goalkeeper Joe Clegg that a margin of defeat wasn’t wider when they travelled to in-form Sheffield.

A highlight was his penalty save in the second period, parrying Jordan Eagers’ spot kick before reacting smartly to save Darryl Winter’s follow-up.

Joel Purkiss scored the only goal with six minutes left, converting Matt Outram’s cross from the right after he had darted between Brian Pritchard and Lee Neville.

Witton 3-2 Sheffield: September 16, 2006

Adam Warlow scored the winner to send Witton through to the next round of the FA Cup after a tie that included a bit of everything.

He had put the hosts ahead inside three minutes, only for Gary Townsend to level for the lower-ranked visitors.

Tony Barras headed against the crossbar before Jim Vince’s men went in front a second time when Sean Whalley steered in a smart finish.

But they were pegged back again, Sheffield’s Chris White heading past goalkeeper Jon Worsnop from close range.

Warlow settled it, converting Mark Peers’ assist, before a moment of farce when a rabbit burrowed up onto the playing surface while Worsnop prepared to take a goal-kick.

After short delay, the contest resumed.