1874 NORTHWICH lost to Ossett on penalties on Tuesday when their FA Cup run ended following a tense goalless draw.

Substitute Seon Ripley sealed a victory for the West Yorkshire hosts when he converted a sudden-death spot-kick after Lee Jackson’s attempt had struck the crossbar.

It was the only way the rivals could be separated after a tie at the weekend during which both teams scored in stoppage time.

Neither could find the net when they met again, although the game was no less absorbing.

Steve Ridley’s shot sailed over for Ossett during the early exchanges after Sam Wright had picked him out, then Kai Hancock failed to control a lobbed attempt.

The visitors’ initial chances fell to Taylor Kennerley, but he fired wide from a first attempt before prompting goalkeeper Leigh Overton to save his second.

Hancock was again wasteful at the other end, and captain Alex Peterson missed the target too, before 1874’s Scott McGowan dragged an attempt well wide after he was teed up by Jake Parker.

Ossett began brightly after the interval, although the away side continued to pose a threat with both Parker and McGowan sending efforts towards goal.

Ridley scuffed an attempt wide of an upright following a defensive slip, while Parker’s next attempt lacked force after a slick one-two with McGowan.

The visitors’ leading goal-scorer had two chances to settle the outcome late on.

He shot high after Lee Jackson picked him out, and then in added time was denied by Overton.

Ossett had the better of the opening period in extra time, during which 1874 custodian Greg Hall was called on to make two saves.

Substitute Kazim Waite-Jackson, on for Parker after he succumbed to a dead leg, could not beat Ossett’s number one with a chipped attempt.

1874 were grateful to Paul Connor though when he cleared a goal-bound effort off the line before the turnaround.

McGowan and Mark Jones converted the first two spot-kicks for 1874 in the shoot-out, while Hall parried Alex Low’s attempt after Peterson had found the net.

However Kazim Waite-Jackson was denied by Overton, and Corey Gregory scored to make it 2-2.

Hancock and Martin Pembleton were successful for Ossett, as were Jack Lever and Danny Meadowcroft for the visitors, to tie the scores at 4-4.

Clevon Beadle then fired high, only for Isaac Assenso’s attempt to be stopped by Hall.

Jackson opted for power, but hit the woodwork, to leave Ripley knowing a conversion would clinch a date with National League side Solihull Moors.

He did so emphatically, smashing the ball into the top corner.

Ossett | Overton (GK), Mackie (Gibbons 58), Assenso, Gregory, Snowden (Ripley 46), Low, Wright, Ridley (Pembleton 91), Peterson, Hancock, Ashley Jackson Subs not used Ferguson, Templeton, Smith, Brooke (GK) Booked Mackie, Wright

1874 | Hall (GK), Connor, Lee Jackson, Pritchard, Meadowcroft, Parker (Waite-Jackson 78), Whitlock (Beadle 82), Lever, McGowan, Jones, Kennerley Subs not used Riley, Woods, Spencer (GK) Booked Lever, Beadle

Referee Dean Watson

Attendance 342

Penalty shoot-out

Scott McGowan (1874) (scores, 1-0)

Alex Peterson (Ossett) (scores, 1-1)

Mark Jones (1874) (scores, 2-1)

Alex Low (Ossett) (saved, 2-1)

Kazim Waite-Jackson (1874) (saved, 2-1)

Corey Gregory (Ossett) (scores, 2-2)

Jack Lever (1874) (scores, 3-2)

Kai Hancock (Ossett) (scores, 3-3)

Danny Meadowcroft (1874) (scores, 4-3)

Martin Pembleton (Ossett) (scores, 4-4)

Clevon Beadle (1874) (misses, 4-4)

Isaac Assenso (Ossett) (saved, 4-4)

Lee Jackson (1874) (hits crossbar, 4-4)

Seon Ripley (Ossett) (scores, 4-5)