Send us news, start your message Cheshire News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Man rescues neighbour from flames
10:20am Tuesday 2nd October 2012 in News
A NEIGHBOUR rescued a man who slept as his Northwich home was going up in flames.
The resident is believed to have burst into the home in Hadfield Street, off Station Road, after smelling burning. Firefighters were called to tackle the severe blaze on the ground floor.
Watch Manager Steve McCormick said: “The man living there had been sound asleep and oblivious to the fire. He was rescued by a neighbour who after smelling burning had gone into the property and got the man to safety. I really feel that if it had not been for the actions of his neighbour this man could have lost his life in the blaze.”
Both neighbours were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after the incident at around 10.40pm on Saturday, September 15.
There were no smoke alarms fitted in the rented property and this week firefighters said the blaze was a reminder about the need for smoke alarms in every home.
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service has since visited homes in the area to offer fire safety advice.
“I cannot stress enough the importance of having a working smoke alarm,” said Watch Manager McCormick. “There is no doubt that they save lives by giving you extra time to escape if a fire breaks out.”
If you live in Cheshire, you can arrange for a firefighter or Community Safety Advocate to visit your home for advice about how to make it safer, what to do if there is a fire and if you are trapped.
Free smoke alarms will also be fitted (if needed) with an explanation on how to maintain it correctly. Go to www.cheshirefire.gov.uk for more details.