Send us news, start your message Cheshire News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Body of man found in flats amid fears of carbon monoxide
THE body of a 43-year-old man was found in a block of Northwich flats after a four-hour long police operation.
Manchester Road was closed between the junctions of Chester Way and Station Road throughout Thursday afternoon, causing great disruption to local businesses.
The Tesco superstore opposite the crime scene was evacuated and closed for a short period of time during the afternoon, with emergency services congregating on the store car park.
Emergency services were called to the flats on Manchester Road at 1.05pm after a member of the public became concerned for the welfare of one of the occupants.
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service worked with police amid fears there could have been carbon monoxide in the flat.
Police have confirmed the flat also contained suspicious items, which had to be checked before emergency crews could enter, ensuring their safety.
Acting Chief Inspector Sharon Case said: “As well as the indication that there were chemicals present in the flat, it also became apparent that there were items present which gave cause for concern.
“These had to be checked out and the chemical had to be assessed before emergency services entered the address.”
On entering the property, police discovered the body of a 43-year-old man, who is yet to be named.
Chief Inspector Case added: “We would like to reassure the community that there were no suspicious circumstances and we are not looking for anyone else in connection with this incident.”
The 100 metre cordon, which was set up around the block of flats as a precautionary measure, led to the evacuation of nearby houses and businesses.
One resident described the incident as “chaos”, whilst another, who believed there had been a gas leak, feared for the safety of their neighbouring property.
Residents were asked to wait in Northwich Station’s cafe whilst emergency services assessed the scene.
“I looked out of the window and there were all these police and fire engines outside,” said one Manchester Road resident.
“They’d set up a cordon which they kept moving further and further back and then they asked me to leave.
“I was doing my ironing, my daughter was playing with her play dough – we just had to leave it all and go.”
Northwich NPU has since thanked residents and businesses for their patience during the incident.
A file is being prepared for the coroner.