Police appeal over suspected arson attack

Fire crews were called to Orchard Street in Northwich last night

Fire crews were called to Orchard Street in Northwich last night

First published in News

MEMBERS of the public are being asked to call police if they know who was responsible for a suspected arson attack.

Four fire engines tackled a blaze in Northwich last night involving a large quantity of refuse and a catering vehicle, which was damaged in the incident.

Fire crews were called out to Orchard Street at 6.46pm to tackle the blaze, which is believed may have been started deliberately.

Cheshire Police also attended the incident, and CCTV footage is being studied by officers for clues as to how the fire started and who may have been responsible.

A Cheshire Fire Service spokeswoman described the catering vehicle as a burger-type van, which she said had not been used for a few years.

“It is believed the fire started in rubbish near the van, which included an old settee and bits of floor tiles,” she said.

“That quickly spread to an empty plastic drum which had contained diesel, which spread in turn to the van.”

She said smoke from the fire could be seen from Northwich Fire Station, and police are looking at CCTV footage of the incident from premises nearby.

A resident from Orchard Street said the catering vehicle was in a compound at the end of the street, and he believed it was owned by a brother and sister.

“People were coming out and saying there was a fire, and there was thick black smoke rising about 40 feet in the air,” said the man, who did not wish to be named.

“The fire brigade came down Orchard Street and went into the compound. They put the fire out in about half an hour, and the burger vehicle was damaged.”

If anyone has information which could help police to identity those who were responsible for the fire they are asked to ring Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, where information can be left anonymously.

The blaze was attended by two fire engines from Northwich and engines from Winsford and Stockton Heath.

The fire started near a number of LPG cylinders, and firefighters sprayed water onto them to keep them cool.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:15pm Tue 24 Jun 14

hectorplain says...

An old settee, carpet tiles, plastic drum, disused burger van, well really !!!

Why in the name of Lucifer do we allow hazards like this to remain in the vicinity of a densely populated area like this?

It's high summer for goodness sake and that flammable material would have been tinder dry.
All it takes is a carelessly discarded ciggy from a passing drunk or the spark from a speeding motorbike exhaust and you've got a raging inferno on your hands.

Thank goodness the fire brigade noticed it and weren't on strike otherwise things could have been quite different.

It's a mercy that the only damage caused was to the rubbish.

Please take a look into your back yard, if there's any rubbish there get the council to cart it away, you and I both know it makes sense.
An old settee, carpet tiles, plastic drum, disused burger van, well really !!! Why in the name of Lucifer do we allow hazards like this to remain in the vicinity of a densely populated area like this? It's high summer for goodness sake and that flammable material would have been tinder dry. All it takes is a carelessly discarded ciggy from a passing drunk or the spark from a speeding motorbike exhaust and you've got a raging inferno on your hands. Thank goodness the fire brigade noticed it and weren't on strike otherwise things could have been quite different. It's a mercy that the only damage caused was to the rubbish. Please take a look into your back yard, if there's any rubbish there get the council to cart it away, you and I both know it makes sense. hectorplain
  • Score: 12

10:29pm Wed 25 Jun 14

hectorplain says...

I've just re-read the story, its states that the fire started near some LPG cylinders.

What a narrow escape!

If a cylinder of liquified gas gets too hot it becomes a powder keg.
The pressure builds up inside then it splits down the middle like a sausage then takes off like a chinese rocket. The ejected flammable liquid gas then expands to fill all the available space (the atmosphere) thus tuning into a gas.

I hope this is not too technical for you (I got most of it off Wickedpeadia).

The moral of the story is DON'T leave LPG cylinders near a raging fire.

They should be returned to an authorised distributer who will take them off your hands.

You might even get a deposit back, but don't quote me on this.
I've just re-read the story, its states that the fire started near some LPG cylinders. What a narrow escape! If a cylinder of liquified gas gets too hot it becomes a powder keg. The pressure builds up inside then it splits down the middle like a sausage then takes off like a chinese rocket. The ejected flammable liquid gas then expands to fill all the available space (the atmosphere) thus tuning into a gas. I hope this is not too technical for you (I got most of it off Wickedpeadia). The moral of the story is DON'T leave LPG cylinders near a raging fire. They should be returned to an authorised distributer who will take them off your hands. You might even get a deposit back, but don't quote me on this. hectorplain
  • Score: 5

10:59pm Wed 25 Jun 14

Cymo says...

Yes, I remember several years back trying to drive to scotland, but the M6 was closed, 'cos there was a lorry carrying gas cylinders on fire on it. All they could do was evacuate several miles of both carriageways, and wait until the fireworks stopped!
Yes, I remember several years back trying to drive to scotland, but the M6 was closed, 'cos there was a lorry carrying gas cylinders on fire on it. All they could do was evacuate several miles of both carriageways, and wait until the fireworks stopped! Cymo
  • Score: 3

9:22pm Thu 26 Jun 14

hectorplain says...

The fire brigade have to be very cautious with exploding gas bottles.

That's because we live in 'health and safety' conscious times.

They will happily spend hours spraying the bottles with their hoses to cool them down.

If a bottle explodes and you are observing it at close quarters at the time (nosey!) it could eject a flying particle and hit you in the chops.
The fire brigade have to be very cautious with exploding gas bottles. That's because we live in 'health and safety' conscious times. They will happily spend hours spraying the bottles with their hoses to cool them down. If a bottle explodes and you are observing it at close quarters at the time (nosey!) it could eject a flying particle and hit you in the chops. hectorplain
  • Score: 8

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree