UPDATE: Major blaze at Tonerman unit, in Queen Street

Firefighters damping down the burnt out unit in Queen Street

Firefighters damping down the burnt out unit in Queen Street

First published in News
Last updated
Northwich Guardian: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter

FIREFIGHTERS are damping down after flames ripped through a unit in Northwich town centre overnight.

The Guardian understands that temperatures climbed so high in the Tonerman building, in Queen Street, that it will take a further two days before any risk of fire is extinguished.

Eyewitnesses reported a noise like popping fireworks when the blaze broke out at around 11.15pm yesterday, Friday.

Residents were warned last night to return to their homes and shut their windows because of a risk of asbestos in the burning roof.

A resident from the neighbouring Naylor Court said: "It must have been around 11pm and I could hear what sounded like fireworks.

"I happened to look though the window and it was like a raging inferno."

More to follow.


Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree