FIREFIGHTERS are damping down after flames ripped through a unit in Northwich town centre overnight.
The Guardian understands that temperatures climbed so high in the Tonerman building, in Queen Street, that it will take a further two days before any risk of fire is extinguished.
Eyewitnesses reported a noise like popping fireworks when the blaze broke out at around 11.15pm yesterday, Friday.
Residents were warned last night to return to their homes and shut their windows because of a risk of asbestos in the burning roof.
A resident from the neighbouring Naylor Court said: "It must have been around 11pm and I could hear what sounded like fireworks.
"I happened to look though the window and it was like a raging inferno."
More to follow.