Cheshire Police implements 'Clare's Law' across the county

6:00pm Thursday 6th March 2014

By James Wilson

A NEW domestic violence whistleblowing scheme dubbed Clare’s Law will be implemented across Cheshire.

John Dwyer, the Police and Crime Commissioner for Cheshire is supporting the Constabulary’s commitment to protect victims of domestic abuse and confirmed on Thursday the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme – also known as Clare’s Law – will be brought in across Cheshire.

The scheme is named after Clare Wood, who was murdered by her former-boyfriend George Appleton at her Salford home in February 2009. Clare was unaware her boyfriend had a history of violence against women.

John Dwyer said: “Domestic abuse occurs in all walks of life. It’s vital that we cross these barriers, re-iterating the message to everyone that domestic abuse is unacceptable and shouldn’t be tolerated.

“Tackling domestic abuse and helping victims are two key priorities in my Police and Crime Plan.

“I am putting victims at the centre of everything I do.

“I have undertaken an extensive consultation exercise with victims to ensure I fully understand their needs, and will use the results of this work to commission services to help victims cope and recover from their ordeal. Victims must be confident that their needs will be taken into account should they take the courageous step to disclose information to the police.”

If you have concerns about the person you’re in a relationship with, the scheme enables you to apply to the police to enquire if your partner has any history of domestic abuse.

Mr Dwyer added: "I am delighted that, following the pilot, ‘Clare’s Law’ is to be implemented, not only in Cheshire, but nationally. The more that can be done to prevent people from becoming victims of domestic abuse the better."

If you’re concerned about your partner, or a friend or relative’s partner, Cheshire Constabulary has produced a guide to explain the process. This guide will be available from local police stations and the Constabulary website.

If you’re worried that you may be at risk of domestic violence, contact the police using the non-emergency number 101, or dial 999 if you are in immediate danger.


© Copyright 2001-2017 Newsquest Media Group

Northwich Guardian: Site Logo

Click 2 Find Business Directory