Send us news, start your message Cheshire News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Fire advice for National Chip Week
1:40pm Thursday 13th February 2014 in News
FIREFIGHTERS are offering advice to chip lovers during a week celebrating one of the nation’s favourite foods.
Last year, more than half of all accidental fires in the home started in the kitchen, with chip pan fires having a high rate of casualties.
Mark Cashin, Deputy Chief Fire Officer for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service, said National Chip Week, from February 17 to 23, is a good opportunity to offer year-round advice.
“From the chip shop to the kitchen table, chips will quite rightly be on the menu this week," he said.
“But the smallest distraction when using a hot chip pan could lead to a fire in a matter of moments.
“Oven chips are a safer and healthier way to enjoy your favourite, but if you do choose to deep fat fry please don’t leave the pan unattended.
“If your pan does catch light, don’t throw water over it – get out, stay out and call 999.”
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service offered the following fire safety tips to help reduce the risk:
• Do not overfill a chip pan with oil – never fill it more than one-third full.
• Be careful that it does not overheat – hot oil can catch fire easily.
• Use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer, which will make sure the fat does not get too hot
• Never throw water on a chip pan fire.
• Do not cook after drinking alcohol.
• In the event of a fire, have an escape route in place.
• Do not take risks by tackling a fire. Get out, stay out and call 999.
• Get a smoke alarm and test it weekly.
Comments are closed on this article.