Could you decide on council complaints?

Could you decide on council complaints?

Could you decide on council complaints?

First published in
Last updated

INDEPENDENT persons are needed to give their views on council complaints.

Borough, town and parish councils each have a code of conduct setting out the standards of behaviour expected of its members.

The role of independent person is to help assess if there has been a breach of the code and to advise on investigations.

The position is required by the Localism Act 2011 and the independent person can be consulted by the council or by the councillor concerned.

Clr Keith Musgrave, Cheshire West and Chester Council’s chairman of the audit and governance committee, which has responsibility for standards, said: “Our aim is to uphold and encourage high ethical standards of conduct by councillors across Cheshire West and Chester at borough, town and parish level.

“The independent persons play a key role in our complaints arrangements, by giving an independent view on matters which may need to be investigated and helping to ensure that complaints are dealt with fairly.”

The appointment does not include a salary but has an allowance for meetings, consultations and travelling.

It is from June 1 for at least three years.

For more information contact Vanessa Whiting, head of legal and democratic services, by ringing 01244 977802 or emailing

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree