Labour wins Northwich by-election

Northwich Guardian: Newly elected councillor Andrew Cooper Newly elected councillor Andrew Cooper

NORTHWICH’S newest town councillor is hoping to help restore faith in local democracy after he won a by-election on Thursday.

Andrew Cooper won a seat on Northwich Town Council’s Bridge ward with 64 per cent of the vote, but a total of 449 votes cast means the turnout was just 9.5 per cent.

Each by-election costs the public purse £7,000, which equates to £15.59 per vote on this particular occasion.

Andrew, who stood as the Labour candidate, said: “I’m hugely grateful to each and every person who was able to vote, particularly those who managed to do so later on in the cold, the dark and the wet.

“I’m sure this time of year with Christmas on people’s minds, the cold weather and the short daylight hours played its part.

“I understand the turnout amongst people who voted by post was much higher at 43 per cent, suggesting that when people are given ways to vote at their convenience many will do so.

“There’s no doubt that many people are generally disillusioned and feel disconnected with politics though.

“The onus is on all politicians and to some extent the local press to let people know abou tthe many positive things town councils do.

“Hopefully we can restore faith and inspire people to support local democracy.”

Andrew, who lives in Davenham, has been interested in local politics since he did work experience at Bootle Town Hall as a 14-year-old schoolboy.

He was inspired to stand for Northwich Town Council because of his belief in the importance of serving the community and wish to make a difference.

“Aside from a general desire to try to improve and revitalise Northwich, recently I’ve felt that for all the improvement work going on in the town, there has not been enough community involvement in how the town is changing and how people want it to change,” he said.

“This has led to a lot of bad feeling in some quarters – particularly around the gyratory system – which isn’t good for the town.

“I will work with my council colleagues to represent the views of the community and to try to secure the best and fairest deal for Northwich we can from Cheshire West and Chester Council and the government.”

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:12pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Northwich Lover says...

How can Mr Cooper hope to restore confidence in loocal democracy whenhis election means that over half the Town Council do not live in the town ?
How can Mr Cooper hope to restore confidence in loocal democracy whenhis election means that over half the Town Council do not live in the town ? Northwich Lover

5:16pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Daniel18 says...

It's not like he lives a million miles away! - he only lives down the road in Davenham - much closer than many other 'Local Councillors' and the 'Local MP'
It's not like he lives a million miles away! - he only lives down the road in Davenham - much closer than many other 'Local Councillors' and the 'Local MP' Daniel18

5:41pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Northwich Lover says...

But they decide how to spend our council tax without contributing to it.
But they decide how to spend our council tax without contributing to it. Northwich Lover

6:45pm Mon 16 Dec 13

m cuddington says...

Perhaps Northwich Lover should worry a little more about the members of the House of Lords who are UNELECTED by anyone!
£300 a day and they make laws for the council tax payers of Northwich, Davenham and the entire country.
Perhaps Northwich Lover should worry a little more about the members of the House of Lords who are UNELECTED by anyone! £300 a day and they make laws for the council tax payers of Northwich, Davenham and the entire country. m cuddington

8:27pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Colin 1953 says...

The gyratory system isn’t good for the town? So a system that has reduced queues overall and will cater for more traffic to allow the town to prosper is not good? I suggest reading the published survey results before spouting off amateur sound-bites without the facts to back it up.

It's time to move on from your 14-year old schoolboy politics Andrew.

By the way - I drive through Northwich everyday, whilst not perfect, the system works.
The gyratory system isn’t good for the town? So a system that has reduced queues overall and will cater for more traffic to allow the town to prosper is not good? I suggest reading the published survey results before spouting off amateur sound-bites without the facts to back it up. It's time to move on from your 14-year old schoolboy politics Andrew. By the way - I drive through Northwich everyday, whilst not perfect, the system works. Colin 1953

9:12pm Mon 16 Dec 13

GoAndrCoop says...

@ Colin 1953
For what it's worth, I was referring to the "bad feeling" not being good for the town, rather than the gyratory. Bit of dodgy punctuation on my part, I'm afraid.

Your point about amateur sound-bites notwithstanding, the gyratory system has undeniably polarised opinion in Northwich, with huge hostility in Castle versus a generally positive reception in Winnington.

Having spoken to many, many people in Castle, I can tell you that a lot of people felt their concerns around the system were not listened to.

It was this that I was attempting to draw attention to, rather than any comment on the system itself.
@ Colin 1953 For what it's worth, I was referring to the "bad feeling" not being good for the town, rather than the gyratory. Bit of dodgy punctuation on my part, I'm afraid. Your point about amateur sound-bites notwithstanding, the gyratory system has undeniably polarised opinion in Northwich, with huge hostility in Castle versus a generally positive reception in Winnington. Having spoken to many, many people in Castle, I can tell you that a lot of people felt their concerns around the system were not listened to. It was this that I was attempting to draw attention to, rather than any comment on the system itself. GoAndrCoop

11:17pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Northwich Lover says...

M Cuddington parliament makes laws not the House of Lords and one absurdity doesn't justify another! Would it be ok if more than half the Cheshire West councillors lived in neighbouring boroughs?
M Cuddington parliament makes laws not the House of Lords and one absurdity doesn't justify another! Would it be ok if more than half the Cheshire West councillors lived in neighbouring boroughs? Northwich Lover

11:32pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Northwich Lover says...

MCuddington, parliament makes laws not the Lords. Would you think it ok if the majority of Cheshire West councillors lived in neighbouring boroughs?
MCuddington, parliament makes laws not the Lords. Would you think it ok if the majority of Cheshire West councillors lived in neighbouring boroughs? Northwich Lover

11:47pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Colin 1953 says...

Andrew - I appreciate you responding and clearing that up. My response would have been quite different had I read your comment in the way that you originally intended to make it.

I drive from Hartford through Castle and, yes, it is not as direct for me to get to London Road, but overall it is better. You should read the council report like I did and you will see that people were listened to - it was just that, with differing views, some didn't get their way.

From what I could see, there were no other alternatives to ease congestion and I'm quite sure that you, as our new councillor, would not support the only other way of easing congestion - by bringing in car park charges!

Sometimes politicians have to take a step back and look at what is good for the town as a whole accepting that you will never please everyone all the time.

Good luck with that!
Andrew - I appreciate you responding and clearing that up. My response would have been quite different had I read your comment in the way that you originally intended to make it. I drive from Hartford through Castle and, yes, it is not as direct for me to get to London Road, but overall it is better. You should read the council report like I did and you will see that people were listened to - it was just that, with differing views, some didn't get their way. From what I could see, there were no other alternatives to ease congestion and I'm quite sure that you, as our new councillor, would not support the only other way of easing congestion - by bringing in car park charges! Sometimes politicians have to take a step back and look at what is good for the town as a whole accepting that you will never please everyone all the time. Good luck with that! Colin 1953

11:59pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Northwich Lover says...

Northwich Lover wrote:
How can Mr Cooper hope to restore confidence in loocal democracy whenhis election means that over half the Town Council do not live in the town ?
Fully agree with Colin. Far too much negativity about it. It works fine. Waitrose a circular journey for Castle and WInnington but not the end of the world!
[quote][p][bold]Northwich Lover[/bold] wrote: How can Mr Cooper hope to restore confidence in loocal democracy whenhis election means that over half the Town Council do not live in the town ?[/p][/quote]Fully agree with Colin. Far too much negativity about it. It works fine. Waitrose a circular journey for Castle and WInnington but not the end of the world! Northwich Lover

10:17am Tue 17 Dec 13

m cuddington says...

Northwich Lover wrote:
M Cuddington parliament makes laws not the House of Lords and one absurdity doesn't justify another! Would it be ok if more than half the Cheshire West councillors lived in neighbouring boroughs?
Yes, parliament makes laws but I think you'll find the Lords are instrumental in rejecting or passing the legislation initiated in the commons.

If more than half of the CWaC councillors lived outside the borough would it be ok?

Consider how our national government is currently made up of MPs predominantly from the south and the cabinet from a pretty narrow group of men (and the odd woman).

Democracy is imperfect but preferable to most other forms of government.

Representation is often bedevilled by anomalies.

Having people who are prepared to stand for councils should be celebrated.
[quote][p][bold]Northwich Lover[/bold] wrote: M Cuddington parliament makes laws not the House of Lords and one absurdity doesn't justify another! Would it be ok if more than half the Cheshire West councillors lived in neighbouring boroughs?[/p][/quote]Yes, parliament makes laws but I think you'll find the Lords are instrumental in rejecting or passing the legislation initiated in the commons. If more than half of the CWaC councillors lived outside the borough would it be ok? Consider how our national government is currently made up of MPs predominantly from the south and the cabinet from a pretty narrow group of men (and the odd woman). Democracy is imperfect but preferable to most other forms of government. Representation is often bedevilled by anomalies. Having people who are prepared to stand for councils should be celebrated. m cuddington

10:46am Tue 17 Dec 13

Northwich Lover says...

Agreed m cuddington and we should actively encourage more to do so but MPs are liable to taxation wherever they live ( apart from those who avoid it of course) If you levy tax you ought to be liable to pay it. More than anything it's a sad reflection on how people feel about local parish/town councils perhaps - I say more in sadness than anger!
Agreed m cuddington and we should actively encourage more to do so but MPs are liable to taxation wherever they live ( apart from those who avoid it of course) If you levy tax you ought to be liable to pay it. More than anything it's a sad reflection on how people feel about local parish/town councils perhaps - I say more in sadness than anger! Northwich Lover

10:47am Tue 17 Dec 13

L Byrne says...

In reality, Davenham is a part of Northwich. The same applies to 'villages' like Hartford, Weaverham, Kingsmead etc.

The fact that the area is run by a dozen or so Mickey Mouse parishes who do not co-ordrinate or, very often, even talk to each other is inefficient and wasteful and makes the town a laughing stock. It also means that we can be ignored in by CWAC in Chester and in London.
In reality, Davenham is a part of Northwich. The same applies to 'villages' like Hartford, Weaverham, Kingsmead etc. The fact that the area is run by a dozen or so Mickey Mouse parishes who do not co-ordrinate or, very often, even talk to each other is inefficient and wasteful and makes the town a laughing stock. It also means that we can be ignored in by CWAC in Chester and in London. L Byrne

11:14am Tue 17 Dec 13

Jack Hay says...

I am surprised that it is not a legal requirement that parish and town councillors should live in the council's area. In fact until now I thought it was. Given that the sole purpose of these councils is to understand local opinion and represent it, it is important. I wonder if the problem is that Northwich Town Council has become politicised. I suspect that Andrew Cooper was elected because of his Labour ticket. On most parish councils (and I'm sorry to use the term, but that is the position Northwich TC occupies - the parish council for the town), all the councillors are independent. An independent candidate standing for election who lived outside the area would be unlikely to be elected. I prefer parish and town councils to be non-political.
I am surprised that it is not a legal requirement that parish and town councillors should live in the council's area. In fact until now I thought it was. Given that the sole purpose of these councils is to understand local opinion and represent it, it is important. I wonder if the problem is that Northwich Town Council has become politicised. I suspect that Andrew Cooper was elected because of his Labour ticket. On most parish councils (and I'm sorry to use the term, but that is the position Northwich TC occupies - the parish council for the town), all the councillors are independent. An independent candidate standing for election who lived outside the area would be unlikely to be elected. I prefer parish and town councils to be non-political. Jack Hay

4:06pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Northwich Lover says...

Not sure if it is Labour controlled as their big idea appears to be a Neighbourhood Plan, costly timewasting and Tory government policy. And if my information is correct most of the members aren't elected either - imperfect democracy :-)
Not sure if it is Labour controlled as their big idea appears to be a Neighbourhood Plan, costly timewasting and Tory government policy. And if my information is correct most of the members aren't elected either - imperfect democracy :-) Northwich Lover

3:08pm Wed 18 Dec 13

nicksey says...

I drive from the roundabout at Station Road to Greenbank most mornings as I have for the past 5 years. In my opinion the gyratory has at best just moved the problems from one place to another.

The traffic going up Castle Hill is now horrendous, it wasn't before the gyratory came along. In the mornings it is solid from the Iron bridge all the way back down to the junction close at Chester Way, I repeat, it was not like this before the gyratory. Traffic coming down Castle Hill at the same time from Hartford do not face the same issues and so think that the gyratory is just fine.

Traffic flowed easier before as vehicles were able to take multiple routes that are now closed to them, forcing all traffic to take the same route obviously artificially increases congestion on that route as well as artificially increasing journey times and fuel used.

It is badly thought out if the main route towards Castle and Hartford is gridlocked every morning that is a fact.

I am sure the gyratory works well for some people, but for others it is a nightmare and for those living in Castle or travelling through Castle towards Hartford that is what it is - a nightmare.
I drive from the roundabout at Station Road to Greenbank most mornings as I have for the past 5 years. In my opinion the gyratory has at best just moved the problems from one place to another. The traffic going up Castle Hill is now horrendous, it wasn't before the gyratory came along. In the mornings it is solid from the Iron bridge all the way back down to the junction close at Chester Way, I repeat, it was not like this before the gyratory. Traffic coming down Castle Hill at the same time from Hartford do not face the same issues and so think that the gyratory is just fine. Traffic flowed easier before as vehicles were able to take multiple routes that are now closed to them, forcing all traffic to take the same route obviously artificially increases congestion on that route as well as artificially increasing journey times and fuel used. It is badly thought out if the main route towards Castle and Hartford is gridlocked every morning that is a fact. I am sure the gyratory works well for some people, but for others it is a nightmare and for those living in Castle or travelling through Castle towards Hartford that is what it is - a nightmare. nicksey

8:36am Thu 19 Dec 13

Rowdie says...

m cuddington wrote:
Perhaps Northwich Lover should worry a little more about the members of the House of Lords who are UNELECTED by anyone!
£300 a day and they make laws for the council tax payers of Northwich, Davenham and the entire country.
You should never try to right a wrong by quoting another wrong.
[quote][p][bold]m cuddington[/bold] wrote: Perhaps Northwich Lover should worry a little more about the members of the House of Lords who are UNELECTED by anyone! £300 a day and they make laws for the council tax payers of Northwich, Davenham and the entire country.[/p][/quote]You should never try to right a wrong by quoting another wrong. Rowdie

10:34pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Jack Hay says...

nicksey wrote:
I drive from the roundabout at Station Road to Greenbank most mornings as I have for the past 5 years. In my opinion the gyratory has at best just moved the problems from one place to another.

The traffic going up Castle Hill is now horrendous, it wasn't before the gyratory came along. In the mornings it is solid from the Iron bridge all the way back down to the junction close at Chester Way, I repeat, it was not like this before the gyratory. Traffic coming down Castle Hill at the same time from Hartford do not face the same issues and so think that the gyratory is just fine.

Traffic flowed easier before as vehicles were able to take multiple routes that are now closed to them, forcing all traffic to take the same route obviously artificially increases congestion on that route as well as artificially increasing journey times and fuel used.

It is badly thought out if the main route towards Castle and Hartford is gridlocked every morning that is a fact.

I am sure the gyratory works well for some people, but for others it is a nightmare and for those living in Castle or travelling through Castle towards Hartford that is what it is - a nightmare.
The traffic going up Castle Hill is not on the gyratory, it has left the gyratory already. If there is a jam on the uphill side, that means the gyratory is delivering traffic to Castle faster than the old road system did! It is true that a traffic jam going down Castle Hill might be caused by the gyratory, but there were jams there before, weren't there? And there is a simple improvement that can be made that would help downhill traffic - remove the traffic lights at the Castle / Chester Way junction and allow traffic turning right from Chester Way to turn right into the right hand lane of the one-way stretch of Castle Hill. This would also help traffic trying to turn out of Navigation Road by removing queuing traffic at the lights. I don't know why that short one-lane bottleneck has been created there and it seems such a simple fix.
[quote][p][bold]nicksey[/bold] wrote: I drive from the roundabout at Station Road to Greenbank most mornings as I have for the past 5 years. In my opinion the gyratory has at best just moved the problems from one place to another. The traffic going up Castle Hill is now horrendous, it wasn't before the gyratory came along. In the mornings it is solid from the Iron bridge all the way back down to the junction close at Chester Way, I repeat, it was not like this before the gyratory. Traffic coming down Castle Hill at the same time from Hartford do not face the same issues and so think that the gyratory is just fine. Traffic flowed easier before as vehicles were able to take multiple routes that are now closed to them, forcing all traffic to take the same route obviously artificially increases congestion on that route as well as artificially increasing journey times and fuel used. It is badly thought out if the main route towards Castle and Hartford is gridlocked every morning that is a fact. I am sure the gyratory works well for some people, but for others it is a nightmare and for those living in Castle or travelling through Castle towards Hartford that is what it is - a nightmare.[/p][/quote]The traffic going up Castle Hill is not on the gyratory, it has left the gyratory already. If there is a jam on the uphill side, that means the gyratory is delivering traffic to Castle faster than the old road system did! It is true that a traffic jam going down Castle Hill might be caused by the gyratory, but there were jams there before, weren't there? And there is a simple improvement that can be made that would help downhill traffic - remove the traffic lights at the Castle / Chester Way junction and allow traffic turning right from Chester Way to turn right into the right hand lane of the one-way stretch of Castle Hill. This would also help traffic trying to turn out of Navigation Road by removing queuing traffic at the lights. I don't know why that short one-lane bottleneck has been created there and it seems such a simple fix. Jack Hay

8:22am Fri 20 Dec 13

nicksey says...

Jack Hay wrote:
nicksey wrote:
I drive from the roundabout at Station Road to Greenbank most mornings as I have for the past 5 years. In my opinion the gyratory has at best just moved the problems from one place to another.

The traffic going up Castle Hill is now horrendous, it wasn't before the gyratory came along. In the mornings it is solid from the Iron bridge all the way back down to the junction close at Chester Way, I repeat, it was not like this before the gyratory. Traffic coming down Castle Hill at the same time from Hartford do not face the same issues and so think that the gyratory is just fine.

Traffic flowed easier before as vehicles were able to take multiple routes that are now closed to them, forcing all traffic to take the same route obviously artificially increases congestion on that route as well as artificially increasing journey times and fuel used.

It is badly thought out if the main route towards Castle and Hartford is gridlocked every morning that is a fact.

I am sure the gyratory works well for some people, but for others it is a nightmare and for those living in Castle or travelling through Castle towards Hartford that is what it is - a nightmare.
The traffic going up Castle Hill is not on the gyratory, it has left the gyratory already. If there is a jam on the uphill side, that means the gyratory is delivering traffic to Castle faster than the old road system did! It is true that a traffic jam going down Castle Hill might be caused by the gyratory, but there were jams there before, weren't there? And there is a simple improvement that can be made that would help downhill traffic - remove the traffic lights at the Castle / Chester Way junction and allow traffic turning right from Chester Way to turn right into the right hand lane of the one-way stretch of Castle Hill. This would also help traffic trying to turn out of Navigation Road by removing queuing traffic at the lights. I don't know why that short one-lane bottleneck has been created there and it seems such a simple fix.
Not quite Jack,

The gyratory is delivering more traffic traffic up castle hill than it used to because more cars are forced along one specific route at the same time than the old system did.

The old way allowed drivers more freedom of choice than the gyratory does, it just packs more cars along a dual carriage way system that stops being a dual carriage way at this point this creating this bottleneck jam through Castle. Previously drivers coming over the bridge split in two directions some up Winnngton Hill and some up Castle Hill

Drivers naturally coming out of the gyratory at Chester Way here are going out of Northwich so do not go back towards town to head up Winnington Hill.

This is what is causing the tailbacks in Castle. The traffic heading down hill towwards the town centre does not suffer the same problem as there is less of it and it has not yet hit the gyratory. So unfortunately your solution does nothing to solve the actual problem.

The gyratory is fine heading from castle through town but has not been thought out properly in the other direction.
[quote][p][bold]Jack Hay[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nicksey[/bold] wrote: I drive from the roundabout at Station Road to Greenbank most mornings as I have for the past 5 years. In my opinion the gyratory has at best just moved the problems from one place to another. The traffic going up Castle Hill is now horrendous, it wasn't before the gyratory came along. In the mornings it is solid from the Iron bridge all the way back down to the junction close at Chester Way, I repeat, it was not like this before the gyratory. Traffic coming down Castle Hill at the same time from Hartford do not face the same issues and so think that the gyratory is just fine. Traffic flowed easier before as vehicles were able to take multiple routes that are now closed to them, forcing all traffic to take the same route obviously artificially increases congestion on that route as well as artificially increasing journey times and fuel used. It is badly thought out if the main route towards Castle and Hartford is gridlocked every morning that is a fact. I am sure the gyratory works well for some people, but for others it is a nightmare and for those living in Castle or travelling through Castle towards Hartford that is what it is - a nightmare.[/p][/quote]The traffic going up Castle Hill is not on the gyratory, it has left the gyratory already. If there is a jam on the uphill side, that means the gyratory is delivering traffic to Castle faster than the old road system did! It is true that a traffic jam going down Castle Hill might be caused by the gyratory, but there were jams there before, weren't there? And there is a simple improvement that can be made that would help downhill traffic - remove the traffic lights at the Castle / Chester Way junction and allow traffic turning right from Chester Way to turn right into the right hand lane of the one-way stretch of Castle Hill. This would also help traffic trying to turn out of Navigation Road by removing queuing traffic at the lights. I don't know why that short one-lane bottleneck has been created there and it seems such a simple fix.[/p][/quote]Not quite Jack, The gyratory is delivering more traffic traffic up castle hill than it used to because more cars are forced along one specific route at the same time than the old system did. The old way allowed drivers more freedom of choice than the gyratory does, it just packs more cars along a dual carriage way system that stops being a dual carriage way at this point this creating this bottleneck jam through Castle. Previously drivers coming over the bridge split in two directions some up Winnngton Hill and some up Castle Hill Drivers naturally coming out of the gyratory at Chester Way here are going out of Northwich so do not go back towards town to head up Winnington Hill. This is what is causing the tailbacks in Castle. The traffic heading down hill towwards the town centre does not suffer the same problem as there is less of it and it has not yet hit the gyratory. So unfortunately your solution does nothing to solve the actual problem. The gyratory is fine heading from castle through town but has not been thought out properly in the other direction. nicksey

4:42pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Daniel18 says...

I agree with Jack,

The traffic on Castle Hill has got nothing to do with the Gyratory system. There are still the same number of roads as there were before!
I agree with Jack, The traffic on Castle Hill has got nothing to do with the Gyratory system. There are still the same number of roads as there were before! Daniel18

5:07pm Fri 20 Dec 13

nicksey says...

Daniel18 wrote:
I agree with Jack, The traffic on Castle Hill has got nothing to do with the Gyratory system. There are still the same number of roads as there were before!
Yes the same number of roads but traffic is foced along a set route. before the gyratory those travelling to Winnington and Barnton would cross the bridge and go up Winnington Hill. Those travelling to hartford Would go up Castle Hill.

Now traffic is forced around the gyratory to come out at Chester Way and most of it turns left up Castle Hill rather than turning right to go back towards town and then up Winnington hill.

If the traffic on castle Hill has nothing to do with the gyratory then why is it now gridlocked in the mornings when it wasnt immediately before the gyratory opened?
[quote][p][bold]Daniel18[/bold] wrote: I agree with Jack, The traffic on Castle Hill has got nothing to do with the Gyratory system. There are still the same number of roads as there were before![/p][/quote]Yes the same number of roads but traffic is foced along a set route. before the gyratory those travelling to Winnington and Barnton would cross the bridge and go up Winnington Hill. Those travelling to hartford Would go up Castle Hill. Now traffic is forced around the gyratory to come out at Chester Way and most of it turns left up Castle Hill rather than turning right to go back towards town and then up Winnington hill. If the traffic on castle Hill has nothing to do with the gyratory then why is it now gridlocked in the mornings when it wasnt immediately before the gyratory opened? nicksey

10:40pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Jack Hay says...

I think nicksey is confused. I leave the town via Winnington Hill because I live that way. When I come round the gyratory, off Chester Way, right onto Castle Hill downhill, left up Winnington Hill, I'm going out of town. I haven't suddenly changed where I live because of the gyratory! Traffic to Winnington still goes up Winnington Hill like it used to. Why can't we turn right onto Castle Hill without having to queue at the lights, there are two lanes going down Castle Hill!
I think nicksey is confused. I leave the town via Winnington Hill because I live that way. When I come round the gyratory, off Chester Way, right onto Castle Hill downhill, left up Winnington Hill, I'm going out of town. I haven't suddenly changed where I live because of the gyratory! Traffic to Winnington still goes up Winnington Hill like it used to. Why can't we turn right onto Castle Hill without having to queue at the lights, there are two lanes going down Castle Hill! Jack Hay

11:33pm Fri 20 Dec 13

nicksey says...

Jack Hay wrote:
I think nicksey is confused. I leave the town via Winnington Hill because I live that way. When I come round the gyratory, off Chester Way, right onto Castle Hill downhill, left up Winnington Hill, I'm going out of town. I haven't suddenly changed where I live because of the gyratory! Traffic to Winnington still goes up Winnington Hill like it used to. Why can't we turn right onto Castle Hill without having to queue at the lights, there are two lanes going down Castle Hill!
Jack, the only thing I am confused by is your failure to understand the problem. Where you live and which direction you take to get there has nothing to do with the traffic problem in Castle and why you would take my comment as some strange claim that you have changed where you live is bizarre.

Before the gyratory there wasn't a problem, as soon as we got the gyratory traffic in Castle became gridlocked. It cannot be just a coincidence can it. Therefore for some reason the gyratory is responsible for this, unless of course you have some other explanation.

I am merely trying to offer a possible explanation for this problem, but because you turn right at Chester Way and then head left up Winnington Hill and don't sit in the traffic like I do every morning you don't experience the problem like myself and many others do each morning. So sorry Jack, if you don't actually travel that way then you can't really make any valid comment about it, can you.
[quote][p][bold]Jack Hay[/bold] wrote: I think nicksey is confused. I leave the town via Winnington Hill because I live that way. When I come round the gyratory, off Chester Way, right onto Castle Hill downhill, left up Winnington Hill, I'm going out of town. I haven't suddenly changed where I live because of the gyratory! Traffic to Winnington still goes up Winnington Hill like it used to. Why can't we turn right onto Castle Hill without having to queue at the lights, there are two lanes going down Castle Hill![/p][/quote]Jack, the only thing I am confused by is your failure to understand the problem. Where you live and which direction you take to get there has nothing to do with the traffic problem in Castle and why you would take my comment as some strange claim that you have changed where you live is bizarre. Before the gyratory there wasn't a problem, as soon as we got the gyratory traffic in Castle became gridlocked. It cannot be just a coincidence can it. Therefore for some reason the gyratory is responsible for this, unless of course you have some other explanation. I am merely trying to offer a possible explanation for this problem, but because you turn right at Chester Way and then head left up Winnington Hill and don't sit in the traffic like I do every morning you don't experience the problem like myself and many others do each morning. So sorry Jack, if you don't actually travel that way then you can't really make any valid comment about it, can you. nicksey

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree